1986 Carb Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NChristenfeld, Aug 29, 2019.

1. NChristenfeld

NChristenfeld New Member

United States
    Map
    I have my carbs out, and wonder if anyone has pictures of the parts I need to remove and clean. I have the floats and their associated parts out and clean. I have the two jets that have the slots in them out and clean. Even their tiniest holes. I can remove the diaphragm and its needle and clean that. I see people refer to another jet that comes factory-capped, and various ideas about how to remove that cap, but all the links to pictures of this mysterious thing have expired. If someone could steer me here, I would be very grateful. It is enough of a nuisance getting the carbs in and out that I really want to be sure every little thing that can be cleaned is cleaned.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    what problems led you to believe carbs needed work ?

let the factory service manual be your guide. clean idle jets and main jets as well as the small holes on the tubes that hold them. no capped jets on an '86; instead, the adjustable mixture screws are limited by a tab on the float bowl, something easily worked-around. remove those screws and shoot carb cleaner through. removing cap to clean diaphragms isn't usually necessary and can lead to problems replacing cap properly.

if you don't have and study the service manual, it's very likely things will go wrong.

3. NChristenfeld

NChristenfeld New Member

United States
    Map
    1986 VFR 750 Carb 1.jpeg 1986 VFR 750 Carb 2.jpeg The bike sat for a while, and then had a very rough transition coming off idle. Then, after sitting a bit more, would not run. It would catch sometimes, but then stall if I even touched the throttle. Some of the jets did indeed seem clogged. I am not sure what I need to make sure is clean other than main and idle jets. I have attached two pictures. Do the parts indicated by the screwdriver tip require attention?

And does a pdf of the shop manual exist online?

4. NChristenfeld

NChristenfeld New Member

United States
    Map
    Update. With the shop manual in hand, I also pulled and cleaned the pilots screws, and reinstalled them. Three full turns out from seated.
    Not sure if I should remove the choke. And not sure how to clean the starter jet, which does not come out. I cannot get a wire into it, even after spraying in carb cleaner. Should a wire go straight through it? These seem likely to be the problem, if so.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    "starter jet" tube should--if clear--admit a .010" steel wire to a depth of about 33 mm. you need to peck-peck-peck at the first obstruction (at a depth of about 10mm) with the wire for awhile until it yields. not all of them can be cleared, and carb spray doesn't do much.

also, you should be able to poke a .010-.012" steel wire through the idle jet and side holes on the main jet holder tubes. not much else needs cleaning, but check the small filters just above the float needle seats.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2019
    NChristenfeld likes this.
  6. NChristenfeld

NChristenfeld New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks --- got a wire into two of them. Very slow and painstaking. Two to go...
    All side holes in other jets are clear and ready to go.
    What should the symptoms be of four plugged starter jets?

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    harder to start in cooler weather, but if 2 are open and clear it should start OK. after running 30-45 seconds they're unneeded

NChristenfeld likes this.
  8. NChristenfeld

NChristenfeld New Member

United States
    Map
    Good news -- thanks. I have three clear. I will try a bit more, and then reinstall. Happily, in San Diego, there is not much "cooler weather."

CaptainPugwash likes this.