1986 VF 500F iDLE problems...

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by SkyPilot007, Aug 6, 2014.

1. SkyPilot007

SkyPilot007 New Member

OK so here is the story....

A while back.... I purchased this bike used for $400 it was a rat bike to say the least.... the person I bought it off owned it for maybe a month. A friend of mine. He bought it "running" and it soon died, he did not have the effort or time to fix it so I bought it.

BIKE.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

I have since cleaned the all four carbs, Like 6 times...... taken them all completely apart tweeked adjusted clean tweek adjust clean..... etc...
    Replaced: Fuel lines, fuel tank (hole that was jb welded and then bondoed) new tank is clean and solid, eventually found out (through this forum i believe) that the Pilot screw could be the culprit. SO I turned it out the recommended setting 2 i think, and viola! I got the bike to run after about 6 months or more of frustration and aggravation. As it turns out though the bike wont idle with the choke off. SO i just ran it with the choke on because at that point I didnt give a $hi!...... Now i have ridden the bike all over Mass, used it on Marthas Vineyard for a summer as my only means of transportation loved it Great bike love to ride fires up everytime...

since then I have done a lot to the looks of the bike but nothing to the carbs or engine.
    Painted it my self (more obvious when you get closer)
    New fairings when I can find them for cheap, fixed some wireing on the headlight new decals! reupholstered the seat my self and customized to my A$$ YEAH! and bought a second seat (removed padding) so my 5'1" girlfriend could learn to ride it.... (didnt work, too heavy).

6.jpg 5.jpg

SO i put it in storage a year and 6 months ago with AvGas which is 100 octane with lead still in it used for airplanes... (it loves this stuff and its super clean) afer reconnecting the battery the thing fired up immediately....

Now the issue;

Brought it for Mass Inspection and the guys noticed it wouldnt run on idle with the choke off, denied me a sticker.... (never had that checked before) also said it sounded like it was only running on 3 cylinders. Well that pissed me off... Lots of hard work and effort and still im going to have problems.... GRRR so here are the specs as I know them..... (i think i know the obvious answer but wanted to check with the collective)

10.jpg 7.jpg

86 VF 500F
    No Mods other than Kerker exhaust (which i think is for 1000cc bikes?...... (no bueno)
    Standard Air Filter
    Cleaned carbs, NOT Synced with the manometer but eyeballed and used feeler gauge (yes laugh now but I was poor and didnt have any means to do so when I bought it)
    Starts every time with FULL Choke after 1/2 to 1.5 turns
    after a mile or so of ridding can take choke to 1/2 maybe 1/4 and it will idle fine does a little hunting.
    Rides with plenty of POWER! get comments when friends ride it that it doesn't feel like a 500.
    At speed can take choke off completely and still has power.
    Replaced Plugs and wiring
    Coils mulitmetered and good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx39z2vgqAE

Questions....

Yes I should have them synced..... is it easy enough to do myself?

If i do (i do) have Kerker 1000cc pipes what kind of rejetting should have been done?

I remember seeing a carb cleaning/syncing service possible on this forum before.... still around?

I have (or will included pictures/video)

Thanks in advanced for the help.

2. SkyPilot007

SkyPilot007 New Member

No replys yet?????? ANy one out there with any good info?

3. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
  4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You can't be sure the pilot jets are clear until you've put a .010" steel wire through the holes. Can't be sure idle mixture screw passages are clear until you shoot carb cleaner + compressed air into the hole and watch for it to emerge from the pilot jet hole in the float bowl (with pilot jet removed).

IMG_1069.jpg

You also need to determine that the bike is running on all 4 cylinders !!

Running with the choke on or partially on can lead to carbon buildup on valves, pistons, engine damage. It's OK to run idle mix screws up to 3 turns open if it helps the bike run better. Experiment !

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I'd be pleased to go through those carbs with my finest fine-tooth comb if you need professional help.