1986 VF500F needs help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rollnslow, Apr 29, 2020.

1. rollnslow

rollnslow New Member

United States
    Hello. Thanks to you guys (Tom Fregly) I now understand why my recently acquired 86 VF500F project has no fuel pump. I thought that someone must have stolen it from the bike before I bought it, but could not figure out how a pump could have possibly been plumbed into the network of fuel lines??? Mystery solved. Now my only question is about the short hose off the pipes interconnecting the carbs...about 4" long and connects to nothing...? No fitting, no end piece, just an open hose? Uhhhhh....seems odd. Is this correct or am I missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Vent hose, open to atmosphere. Originally there is/was a bracket mounted on top of a carb that directs it to point down.

This is a shot of a 86 VFR700, but the 86 VF500 setup is pretty much the same.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  3. rollnslow

rollnslow New Member

United States
    Thank you Captain 80s. It seems like an odd setup...to have an open hose in the fuel system ??? but...OK. It's a relief to know that my 86 is bone stock and unmodified...even that bracket you mentioned is still there. I'm especially glad that I won't need to mess around with a fuel pump. My bike's been parked for years but, fortunately, has been stored indoors and shows no signs of abuse. I'm looking forward to bringing this little guy back to life. What an amazing motorcycle! Thanks again for your help.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If it makes you feel better you can put one of these on the end. I installed one with a longer hose on my 1986 VF500F race bike.

[​IMG]

5. rollnslow

rollnslow New Member

United States

6. rollnslow

rollnslow New Member

United States
    Thank you again Captain 80s. I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and the pictures help a great deal. Please tell me how to find the hose fitting you show in your picture. Also, I would like to rebuild the carburetors using the best possible parts. Can you recommend which rebuild kits I should buy?

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The breather filter pictured is made by Uni. I like them because they are all rubber (no chrome) and have that little extra mounting tab. Can be found on Amazon, eBay, Summit Racing, etc....

I have stockpiled extra parts from years and years of building carbs and source my own o-rings. But I recommend Billys Outback for kits. There are others as well, I know his have received positive comments. V4Dreams is also a great source for some individual rebuild parts. I think there is somebody on V4HondaBBS that puts together nice kits as well (could actually be Billys).