1986 VF500F Parts Bike

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Captain 80s, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Jim's new tank.....

3. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    :Fencing:internal struggle going on in my brain right now.. I really don't have much space left, but I'm going to be going through a buddy's 84/85 VF500F really soon and could probably use the parts. If this was an 84/85 and not an 86 it would make it an easier decision to toss a bid down.

Wish it had an OEM master cylinder on the front--I'd be more inclined to go grab it. I was thinking about the tank as well for Jim. That bike is about 90 minutes from me. No idea how that auction thing works. I'm also looking closer at the pictures and I can't tell if that's a big dent in the front right of the tank or if my eyes are deceiving me.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    An original M/C better not be a deciding factor. They are not rare.

A dent in the tank is better than rusted seams.

An 86 engine bolts right in, and with 84/85 carbs makes great power.

5. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    No no, MC not the deciding factor. The aftermarket replacement I bought just doesn't feel as good to me. The stopping power is equivalent, but the lever pull starts further out, and my hands are small for it, and it's non-adjustable.

I got the impression from reading through previous threads that the 86 frame had differences that didn't allow direct bolt in to an 84/5. That changes things a bit here. Having the motor and carburetors would be good. I wouldn't mind having the belly pan, spare forks (though I'm thinking those are trashed), and spare wheels either...

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The frames and engines are mix-n-match. My race bike was 86/86. After floating a valve, an 84 engine bolted right in exactly the same.

I know that is opposite of what you stated (86 engine in 84 frame) but there are no differences in the frames that prevent it.

I don't know how that got started, but I suspect they encountered some slight manufacturing differences (every frame is not identical) or theirs was bent and was worse after separating the frame from the engine.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  7. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Holy Cow, I just saw this.......Did it sell? it won't let me click on it.

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Lot #24 (Sale Order: 24 of 135)
    Sold for: $400.00 to v****a
    This auction is in progress!
    ENTER LIVE AUCTION

kind of ambiguous

9. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    It sold. I was highest bidder in the online portion--but the in-person went a good bit higher than I left my highest bid. I was thinking, this is sort of like going grocery shopping on an empty stomach.. you shouldn't be looking at online motorcycle auctions while you're watching Isle of Man TT coverage repeats.

*Edit - maybe I should have left a higher max, but there were also a ton of fees for online bidding as well. Maybe I should have gone higher, but with the transport involved and getting someone to help me load.. eh.. sight unseen, I may have not been getting anything of use besides the fuel tank. And even then, it was still a gamble. Hopefully someone on here grabbed it, and it's got a good engine and tank on it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  10. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    It's all good. Likely the engine is toast. I bought a VF500C Magna for $300.00 last year and it turned out the engine was not only toast but the bike had been in a flood. It did have a good set of heads however, and I was able to sell about $250.00 worth of parts off it. it was a huge PITA though. And my wife was really pissed for me dragging another bike home. I stripped it and hid most of it in the attic. Out of sight our of mind! Thanks for thinking about me though!