1986 VF500F Stalling out

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JordynTaylor, May 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JordynTaylor

JordynTaylor New Member

So I just bought my first bike! YEEW! I know I risked it by getting an older bike buy I love the interceptor. I just bought the bike a few days ago. It has 14,000 miles and it came from an estate sale (so it probably has been sitting for a while...not quite sure how long) I ran the bike yesterday for the first time just to test things out and get a feel for it. Tonight I was running it and it stalled out on me. I stopped and turned it off thinking maybe it had to warm up a bit more. I opened the choke and it started right up to about 4,000 rpm but then it slowly looses Rpms. Almost like it is chugging out with too much fuel or something? Do I have to clean the carbs? :/

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

YES! Especially if the bike just sat without being started or run for a long period of time. You may just want to check the gas tank while you're at it, make sure it's clean and not full of rust or other rubbish. If you need carb cleaning help send a PM to member Squirrelman, he is the resident carb "expert" and has helped many a member with carb cleaning/rebuild.

3. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Are you low on Fuel and have your switched the petcock to reserve?

I hate to say suggest something so simple but I have had two friends with the same bike who got super excited and forgot to switch it to RES.

4. JordynTaylor

JordynTaylor New Member

Sooooo...it is a bit humbling. But I was out of gas!!! Haha holy cow. Bike runs like a top when I switched the fuel dial to reserve and the. Filled up with gas! Haha oh man. Any recommendations on some minor things I can do on the bike to make it "nice and tuned?" Thank you for the quick reply! Welcome to the family I guess! You rock!

5. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Glad it was an easy fix.

Just ride it for now...get some fresh gas through the system and see how she runs.

6. JordynTaylor

JordynTaylor New Member

Do you have an recommendations on things I can do to the bike to make it a bit smoother? Like just basic stuff. I am VERY new to biking but I like productive tinkering. I am open to any advice.