1990 suspension upgrade suggestions

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by pgafuture, Mar 29, 2011.

1. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    I'm considering some suspension upgrades. I'd like to start with the rear shock. What should I go for? Any suggestions? The sky is not the limit, I'm poor but spend every penny I've got on my moto.

2. betarace

betarace New Member

what are your goals in these upgrades? how much do you weigh?

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    the cheapest route is a low miles 929 shock off fleabay. Make sure it comes with the dogbone because you want the longer bushings. Then fabricate your own lower mount adapter from 2" steel tubing.

All can be completed for around $50-$60.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The slightly longer bushings in the 929 dogbone fit nicely inside the square tubing. The shock rod is turned 90degrees so the adapter doesn't become a pivot point. The 3rd gen bike has the upper shock mount cast into the frame so it's more difficult to fabricate an upper adapter as you would with a 4th gen bike (the upper mount is a bracket that bolts to the frame).

The 929 is rebuildable where the OEM technically isn't (however it "can" be done). It has more adjustment than a VFR OEM piece of shit shock.

The upper reservoir on the 929 requires that you have to move your starter relay but does not require any modifications to the battery box. To move the starter relay, unclip it from the tab on the battery box and move it to the side, plenty of room and wire length - no difficult modifications required.

4. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    I'd like it to ride better, pretty sure there's not much left in the shock. I will only be street riding, no track at all. I ride conservatively. I weight 220 lbs. or so. Thanks.