1990 VFR750 - Power loss after oil change

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by flummerylove, Apr 5, 2010.

1. flummerylove

flummerylove New Member

Everything went smoothly. Honda oil. 3.3 qts. K&N filter. No leaks. Checked oil level with bike upright. Didnt screw dip stick in. The oil level is right at the top mark on the dipstick. Took her for a test ride and she was not accelerating like normal. Less power, not as torquey. Not as strong. When I accelerate, after about 5k, the power levels off even if I give it more. Whats up? Too much oil or not enuff? Help!

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    When you changed the air filter you may have pinched a gas line. Remove the tank and check there first. Also could be a venting issue.

Rollin

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I just realized that when you said K&N filter you were probably referring to the oil filter and not the air filter so if this is the case it's probably not a pinched gas line. Did you recently fill up with new fuel? If so you might have got some bad fuel. I would also check for fouled plugs.

Rollin

4. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    I can't see where you can blame your oil change for this. U Sure it ran fine before the change? Just get your bike outta storage?

First place I'd look is air filter, plugged exhaust...could 'critters' have gotten in somewhere and made a nest? All due respect Squirrelman...

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    WELL, it's usually mice nesting in airbox, too small for squirrel......

6. StuMayhem

StuMayhem New Member

Map
    Did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same issue with my 1996. Changed spark plugs and they looked liked they needed it, but still having the same lack of power at speed around 5k RPM.

7. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Crap in your carbs?

8. flummerylove

flummerylove New Member

I never did figure it out. I put too much oil in at first then got it to the right level. Some oil backed up thru the breather and into my air filter so I cleaned that out. It helped a bit. Plugs are new, that wasnt it. Could be carbs...but Im not ready to rock those just yet. If and when you find answers...enlighten me! Thanks.

9. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    i think i have this same problem. i just got my bike back from the shop, but had changed my oil just before it went in. when i got the bike back yesterday i rode it for around an hour and a half and it did great. on my way home from work it was fine up until around 30 minutes of riding. it felt like it was breathing fine and then maintaining a speed of 45 or so was work.