1992 Honda VFR 750

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nate0427, Aug 9, 2007.

1. nate0427

nate0427 New Member

Hello,
    I've purchased this bike recently not running, It has about 30,000 on it.
    My problem is the previous owner let this bike sit for 8 years!!! with gas in the tank! (stupid I know) First let me tell you what i've done so far.
    The tank has been drained and refilled and cleaner was added, the carbs were frozen from old fuel, so they were removed inspected and cleaned, the fuel pump was froze, so I replaced it, replaced the plugs, fuel filter, battery, air filter, oil, coolant, lines and hoses and the tires. So now that set aside.
    After reassembly the bike will start and run but only when choked about 3/4 and it will only idle? if you ever so slightly even touch the throttle it will stall.
    Now as the bike warms up from idling you can back the choke off to about half way and if you mess with the throttle a bit I can get the bike to run perfect but only after 2500 rpm, and it revs up and sounds great, but the sec you let it idle down past 2500 it will stall??? Now it will start back up, but same thing just idle. If the choke is all the way off were it should be it will not idle at all, So my problem is this bike will only run after 2500 rpms and only idle and there is no inbetween. I took the carbs off three time thinking more dirt found its way into them, and after several cleanings nothing has changed!!!! I'm getting very frustrated. Any ideas????
    Thanks, Nate

2. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Low speed (idle) circuit is still plugged

3. nate0427

nate0427 New Member

Waldrm,
    I was thinking something still might be gummed up in those carbs.
    Do you have a link or a diagram for the location of the low speed jets?
    (idle circuit?).
    Thanks, Nate

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Nate,

I had a similar problem wit a Valkarie that I was workinng on for a friend. It sat too much and thus it got gummed up. I removed the carbs and did the standard cleaning after fully dissasembling them. I reassembled them to find a 50% improvement in the way it ran but not what I wanted and the issues seemed to be in the idle circuit. So I took them apart again and cleaned them focusing on the low speed jets. I soaked them in cleaner and blew them out with compressed air which is generally all you need to do. Again reassembly resulted in similar results. Idle was OK but off idle throttle response was bad (not quite as bad as you are experiencing) but bad to the point of being undriveable at slow speeds while mid range and top end were fine.

I knew it was fuel related but couldn't understand how. One last time I pulled the carbs off, all six of them, I was geting good at it by now, and stripped them down. I could see light through the low speed jets but maybe just maybe there was a film in their. I decided to try to clean them mechanically but the holes were so small my jet drills wouldn't pass through them ( a first for me) I thought about taking them out to my first drill size but it was a big step. Searching for something small enough to pass through, the only thing I could find was a single strand of copper wire taken form a 14ga automotive wire. I clamped the wire in a vice and held the other end while I slid the jet up and down the wire hoping that any crap in the jet would be removed. It worked!! There must have been a thin film that the cleaner didn't get out but the wire got it and that tiny amount of fuel made all the difference.

You might wanna try something like this on your bike as it really sounds like a pilot jet issue.:lever:

Sorry I tooks so long to explain a simple thought!:rolleyes:

Good luck!

5. nate0427

nate0427 New Member

Yes, that was the problem and I did run wire through the low speed idle jets, and just like you were saying I could see light through them but they were still gummed up. So after running the copper wire through and a very good cleaning the bike runs great.
    Thanks, Nate

6. alexrojo

alexrojo New Member

im about to get in the same boat u were in. im buying a vfr 750 from my buddy's dad for $500. the bike has been sitting for years now and doesnt start but the rest of the bike looks good. im 18 and have been wanting too ride for the longest time and i want to buy this bike to start out on. apart from the carb issue, how difficult would u say this fix-up was? and how has the bike treated u since 08-13-2007?

7. betarace

betarace New Member

nate, run some sea foam through the next tank to get to a 100% clean deal. You may detect minor flat spots in the fueling that this will remove.