1995 vfr restoration

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by mikemarley, Jun 4, 2016.

1. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    i got my 95 vfr for free, i traded a bicycle for it, because he couldnt get it running and he had 2 more motorcycles besides the vfr. he had maybe 3 plastic pieces for the whole bike and he had put the motor together wrong so it blew up shortly after i got her running. after i got a new engine, i got all the plastics, electronics, and hardware perfect. i had a heck of a time with the main starter connection and the regulator/rectifier. then i had to rewire the cooling system as well. after i got it running i got all the plastics and then repainted it lamborghini aventador blue.

Attached Files:

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice. Now that was a project, with that price it would be hard to go to wrong? Curious though, what was wrong in the engine that made it go POP!

3. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    thank you, ive put alot of work in my vfr, but youre right for free i couldnt beat it. i was literally just tuning his race bike and asked about the vfr because it was leaning against the wall with the engine half apart. next thing i know hes helping me push it back to my house lol. it was tedious redoing the whole bike, but now i know about common issues with the vfr so its a good trade. ok, so the engine popped because there is a gear that goes to the starter, and its inside the clutch case. there is a spacer that is suppoused to go behind the gear so it doesnt rub the clutch basket or other gears. it was rubbing together for about a week then it just popped in traffic, the gear literally exploded. it was too expensive to rebuild my original motor, so i got a v4 with fewer miles than my original from ebay. its been working beautiful

4. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    i found a nice schematic to show exactly what happened. item #1 is the starting gear, #2 is the shaft that holds it in place. youre then suppoused to put #11 on the shaft behind the gear, but my friend put it on in front of the gear instead so it rubbed.

Attached Files:

5. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    had rectifier issues, so i went to wire my bike and got a vfrness, rectifier, and mag. now my bike stays lit quite nicely. the best part is all the electronics have a year warranty

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Be prepared to be called a heretic for painting your bike "another" color. ;)

7. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    lol i dont mind being a heretic, did u see what this thing looked like before i painted it?? didnt want ugly mismatched plastics across the bike, so i decided to paint it lamborghini aventador blue. there is sooo many red vfrs in the usa, and my handgrips were blue when i got it so i decided blue. ik of 2 other 4th gen bikes in a 50 mile area and theyre both red, at least i restored it the previous owner was going to take all the fairings off and race it til it died lmao

Attached Files:

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    That ain't to bad. if it's good enough for Michael Jordon, then all is good. right.

9. PingJockey

PingJockey New Member

Map
    Hell to the yea!!

Similar situation with my '95...guy wanted a dirt bike so I traded my Husky 250 straight up. Mine needs some cosmetic work but it's solid. I put new wheel bearings in the front along with a Shinko Stealth tire. Handles the mountain roads like a dream. Also. replaced the original air filter and spark plugs...runs like a champ with great mid power.

10. PingJockey

PingJockey New Member

Map
    I'm an R-158 man, but that blue has a MotoGP look to it...which is a good thing!

11. PingJockey

PingJockey New Member

Map
    mine's slightly miss-matched... aftermarket fiberglass rear in white and white belly pan also missing windscreen, so...kinda naked!

12. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for saving another gen4. It looks great! Just don't complain about not being able to keep up with the others. Everyone knows red bikes are faster. LOL

13. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    Been a while, just posting newest mod. Getting a rectifier for a 98-99 vfr750 thats mosfet instead of the diode style on my 95 and having it modified at wiremybike to plug into my stock plugin/ vfrness. Im also going to wire up a cpu fan so i can keep it cool regardless of the heat as i live by chicago and it gets hot as hell in the summer. Its just a few amps of power and my electrical system is great other than my current rectifier

14. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    Also getting ready to disassemble the rear hub for greasing and cleaning. Probably check the front bearings, all the brake caliper pistons, and my front forks while im at it.

15. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    Laid her down, hit a huge chunk of concrete nd had to bail. Was only doing 35 but me nd the bike took some road rash

Attached Files:

16. mikemarley

mikemarley New Member

United States
    Couple more pics of the damage, and the rectifier mod....

Attached Files: