1998 VFR 800 Oil Change (5th Generation)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by reg71, Aug 7, 2006.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Time: 30-60 mins
    Skill level: Basic
    Curse word level: Kindergarden

What you will need:
    Oil filter (I used NAPA Gold or Wixx but you can read the forums for the debate on what's best)
    4 qt 10W-40 Oil (whew! where to begin on what to use... I go with Amsoil Motorcycle oil, it's for bikes and wet clutch compatible)
    17mm wrench or socket
    possibly a filter wrench or strap
    screwdriver or other flat item (popsicle stick, or whatever)
    Hex wrench (not sure of the size, but it's in your toolkit)
    Drain pan

Step 1: Remove the left side panel using the flat stick to pop the
    fasteners. You push the line in the middle then pull from the round edges to slide out the fastener. (see pic)
    [​IMG]
    Remove the hex bolts, and take off the side panel. You will not need to remove the inner half cowl to reach everything.

Step 2: With the drain pan under the drain plug (unless you prefer to work messy) remove the drain plug. (17mm) You can see it in the bottom of the photo.
    [​IMG]
    I leave the drain plug out while I'm working on getting the oil filter out. If it wasn't overtightened, you can get it off with your hand, but if not, you'll have to use a filter wrench on strap. You can see the filter in the pic below.
    [​IMG]
    I reach it by using my left hand up through here below and above the hose. My drain pan is big enough to catch both at the same time so I go ahead with the filter removal.

Step 3: Once the oil has drained out for a few minutes, I wipe off the drain plug and reinsert it. (22 ft-lbs if your anal about that kind of thing) Before installing the new oil filter, I run a bead of clean oil along the rubber seal to moisten it and help it seal. The torque for the filter is optimally 7 ft-lbs, but I just go to hand tight, then turn 1/4 to half turn more.

Step 4: Refill the oil. See the pretty pic. Amsoil should give me some free oil or something for this plug shouldn't they...
    [​IMG]
    It should take about 3.3 qts. After refilling, start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, then shut if off. Look in the window on the right side and the oil should be between the lines.
    [​IMG]

Step 5: Remove the drain pan and place a clean cloth under the bike where oil would drip if anything is not tight enough. (see pic) I added this step after the first time I had to re-remove the left side and re-tighten the filter and plug.
    [​IMG]

Step 6: You can go ahead and replace the fairing if no leaks are seen. The fasteners are a litty tricky until you do one. If you pull the tabs apart at the bottom it'll start sliding back then you pull the thin part up so that the part that is inserted is small enough to fit in the hole. See pic.
    [​IMG]

Step 7: Everything should be back together and you should be itchin to ride by now, so hit it. Use the $30 you saved for your favorite evening beverage and enjoy....

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  2. betiller

betiller New Member

thank goodness someone took the time to do this. Many thanks

3. pjvtec

pjvtec New Member

Map
    30 bucks on an evening beverage! What the hell are you drinking?

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I suppose I should have specified it was more than one beverage... If you make it out to the BBQ we'll partake of a few.... :drink:

5. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice. I use Amsiol in my VFR too. The savings could go to a nice meal and a favorite beverage (repeat as necessary).

6. nvoges

nvoges New Member

Stupid question....I assume you should you check the oil level while on the center stand but wanted clarification.

7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Yes center stand shows most accurate. if on side stand, none will be visible.

8. hondajt

hondajt New Member

3.3 quarts? What happens if I put in too much oil? My bike seems to take 4.1 quarts.

I did the 3.3 quarts, and it was still below the lower line. So i added some until it hit the lower line. I ran the bike for about 8 minutes, turned it off, and it was still at the lower lines.

It was only in the middle, after about 4.1 quarts.

Is this bad?

9. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

If it's in the lines... :unsure: My 2000 also takes a noticeable amount more than 3.3. It's usually just short of 4 full quarts until it's under the full line. The only explanation to this is that I do not use stock Honda filters. I run the K&N with the nut on the end of the filter. I never put it next to the stock filter to compare the size.

If it is indeed over-filled, a slight amount isn't going to hurt anything. If it is majorly over-filled, the excess may be blow up the breather into the airbox. You may also have some power loss. To get to the power loss level, it needs to be ridiculously over-serviced.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Look in the sight glass after letting it sit on the center stand overnight...you'll probably notice that it is overfilled, i suspect you didn't wait long enough for the oil to drain back down into the cases before you continued adding. The easiest way to remove the excess oil will be to get one of those plastic food seasoning syringes with a piece of rubber tubing over the end with a short piece of 1/4" poly tubing you can stick down inside the filler cap and extract the excess oil without draining it....the bike will take 3.3 quarts with a new filter...unless the filter you used is a bigger capacity than the standard size filter.

11. Misspent Youth

Misspent Youth New Member

United States
    Did you add the new oil while the bike was upright? Or leaning on the sidestand? Should be upright.

For the uber-anal - pull the right-side oil cooler line where it goes into the pan (don't lose the o-ring) and blow a couple blasts of air from a tank/compressor through the line to push about 3/4 cup of dirty oil back into the pan for draining. I pull the plug to drain first, then blow out the cooler. Fairly light torque setting for the cooler line, so don't overdo it or you'll strip it out.

12. Tuzo

Tuzo New Member

United States
    Map
    Oil Change Gen5

I put too much oil in (about 200 milliliters excess) and the reading is above the full line but below the top of the viewing glass (about half way in between). Problems here or not?

Also, I wrap my pipes below the filter and drain plug in tin foil to keep oil off of them while I am changing it.

13. Misspent Youth

United States

No problem with your oil level, in my opinion.

14. hooraye

hooraye New Member

wrong weight oil

Hey folks,
    I've had my 2000 VFR since Oct '08 and this is my first post. It was the oil thread that made me realize I'm running 5W-40 Rotella-T Synthetic and not 10W-40. I might've been sleep starved at the time, and now I'm wondering if I might've done any harm. I'll switch to 10W-40 this weekend.

15. Tuzo

Tuzo New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm running Rotella T synthetic (5-40) in my 97 Magna (V4) and it is fine. I might switch to it in my VFR due to price and it seems to get decent reviews (other people are using it). I am presently using Amsoil.

16. Misspent Youth

United States
    I run Rotella 5/40 Syn in my '98 (and my other bikes, as well) due to the very positive reviews. I'd have no worries leaving it in.

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    As the others have said, I wouldn't worry an awful lot about it. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I have Rotella 5w40 in right now. I think the important thing is that you change it regularly..

18. crewchief444

crewchief444 New Member

Thanks for the pics

19. Bean

Bean New Member

Thanks for the thread! I just added an 01 to the stable with the FZ1 and went to change the oil and... hey... how much??? What weight?? Fairings off how? (I'd figured that last one out already). Anyway... thanks from a VFR newb.

20. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I changed my oil this past Sunday. I used a Wix filter and Rotella 5W40. I like the tip on putting aluminum foil over the headers.

BTW, other than taking off the plastic, the VFR is a lot easier to get to the oil filter than the CBR 954.