1998 vfr guage surround alignment

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by cbviffer, Sep 17, 2018.

1. cbviffer

cbviffer New Member

Canada
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I'm trying to put my smashed 1998 vfr back together, and I'm having a hard time getting the plastic that surround the gauges to line up. The arm that the mirror on the right side was bent badly, but I thought that the arm on the left was undamaged (the mirrow and windshield on that side seemed untouched).
    When I bend the right arm so that the fairing fits easily, the gauge surround if up and to the right, when I try to bend it to go more with the gauge pod, the fairing seems hard to put on.
    The arm on the left is around 44" off the ground with the bike on the center stand and the front wheel on the ground. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to get this better?

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    You might be better off buying a front fairing stay from eBay
    I would say the whole frame is bent, not just the mirror arm.

3. cbviffer

cbviffer New Member

Canada
    I don't know,
    It looks straight otherwise
    I would think that it would be easy to figure if it was bent elsewhere, usually you'd see where the paint is wrinkled from bending.
    Where the gauges mount seems fine, none of the tabs/mounting points are cracked or missing.

4. cbviffer

cbviffer New Member

Canada
    IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0630.JPG Alright, so I think I got it, I got out a trouble light and took a better look at things.
    The bottom of the gauges are mounted on two ears about 1-1/2" long, they move extremely easily. All I did, was unbolt the bottom of the gauges, took a deep socket larger than the stud on the back of the gauges and tapped each ear.
    They moved 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and now my surround is sitting hella flush :)
    I knew it was something simple, just had to walk away from it I guess.