1999 VFR RPM??

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by WhiteCarbon, Nov 11, 2017.

1. WhiteCarbon

WhiteCarbon New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey everyone! I have a 99 and I need help figuring out the sweet spot that the bike likes to be at in terms of rpm. I'm used to driving a manual car where the rpm likes to be at around 2000. Whenever I am at 3000 with the VFR it always sounds like it is going to bog out and whenever I am at 4500 it sounds like it is revving to high. So, my question is, what rpms are you guys usually keeping steady at? I went on the highway for the first time (I always ride in the city) and I was in 6th gear and it was at about 5000 rpm. I'm not sure what the best rpms are supposed to be at for a long period of time. Any information is helpful, thanks guys!!

2. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    What do you mean by a "long period of time"? The VFR likes to rev so IMO you really have nothing to worry about at 4,500 or 5,000 - I think it could happily rev all day at those RPMs. But if you think 4,500 is too noisy than I would just back off to 4,000 - I don't think it would be boggy there. Since your 5th gen doesn't have VTEC there's no need to keep the VTEC transition in mind like the 6th and 8th gens. On my 8th gen, I think I can cruise in 6th all the way up to about 95 mph before the VTEC transition at roughly 6,800 rpm. When just cruising around in the suburbs I'll generally keep it below VTEC so it's not too noisy and guzzling gas (anywhere from say 4,000 to 6,500) but if I want to enjoy more power and V4 sonic glory I'll try to keep it above the VTEC transition. The V4 seems to be very happy anywhere from 4,ooo all the way up to banging off the rev limiter as seen in this vid :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    on my 6th gen, I try to maintain 7-10,000. It's only about a 100'ish hp - you have to keep it moving after all... lol
    The only time I change lower is if engine is cold, or I'm on fuel conservation mode...

4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW, my 5th gen, is happy at all revs, for any length of time. Low rpms, meh, not really what the VFR of any generation was built for. Sustained revs of 6500-8500+? No issue, unless you're going slow in a low gear, because then you won't have the airflow to keep it cool. I'm not saying run around everywhere at 11,500, but don't trip if you're running even 7000 for a long time. I've ridden in a spirited manner in the states that have have high interstate speed limits and it was a total non issue.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well, depending on where I'm riding, I usually keep the RPMs in the middle of the power band. If I'm riding in the twisties, that's definitely where I keep it. If I'm on the highway, I keep it just below the power band so to conserve fuel. Ultimately where you keep the RPMs is up to you, but keep in mind that when you need to get yourself out of a situation, the less time you need to make power, the better off you'll be. Sometimes it's as easy as twisting the throttle, other times it's downshifting, then accelerating.

The above practice applies to both my 5 and 6 Gens, but for my 6 Gen, being in the VTEC RPM range (6800+ RPM) is usually reserved for more spirited riding.

6. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    Don't compare your car's engine to your 800cc V4 engine with sold lifters. The VFR's motor makes maximum power at 11,500 RPM, has a peak torque around 8,000 RPM. Which means it's most efficient between 6,500 and 9,500. That's it's sweet spot. Below 6k RPM your motor is loafing along and sipping fuel. It will pull smoothly from 4k RPM at top gear but it won't catapult you forward like a literbike. So if you want to accelerate with authority, keep it above 7k RPM. If you want to cruise easily then keep it below 6,500 RPM. Just don't expect neck snapping power below 4k in any of the top three gears.

And if your motor feels like its rough or laboring, check to make sure it's properly tuned up (clean air filter, good spark plugs, clean fuel injectors). It should be smooth and not feel strained.

7. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    A VFR is a typical Japanese bike. It doesn't matter as long as you don't lug it. Some people here, including me, ride twisties at high rpm's day after day after day after year after year with no bad results. Just use a synthetic oil and change it every 4,000 miles. It also helps your bike last longer if you start an oil thread.......:chaingun:

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Your 99 is one of the best VFRs made IMO. as far as ride around in what gear vs. rpms. Thats a tough one, basic flowing with traffic on the freeway in 6th will find you smack dab in the middle. which isn't a bad place to be. putsing around in 3rd-4th at 3-4k ain't bad either, boy does the engine purr there. like others, this engines loves 9-10K just as well. So don't be afraid pick a gear and experiment, you'll have a blast Here's a one for you, go find an open road and take it to 10,5 up through 5th ;) be forewarned, 4th will pull 130ish.