1st gen starter clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Bruce Mackay, Oct 11, 2017.

?

Will the 1990 starter clutch work?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bruce Mackay

Bruce Mackay New Member

United States
    Hi, I have a 1986 vfr700f and have recently run into some starting problems, since my starter motor worked and my engine cranked by hand (not when using starter), I took off the starter clutch. The clutch had 2 splits in the casting leading me to conclude that its broken. The oem part number is 28120-ML7-000 and after 2 days of surfing the web, I am unable to find a new one. (As a consumable part and one that people are unwilling to post pictures of the insides a used one is out of the question). I found that on a 1990 vfr750f, they have a nearly identical pulse generator/starter clutch assembly, except of course the actual starter clutch is different. As you should hopefully be able to see in the picture, the outer casing has different ridges in it. I am not worried about clearance, I am however worried about pulse generation. Because this unit doubles as the pulse generator and I am worried that those ridges determine the timing of the engine which would make this not a suitable replacement part.

Maybe I could attempt to separate the inside and outside parts of the clutch because it is kind of 2 separate pieces and try to use the inside of the 1990 and the outside that I currently have for my bike, even though that is scared and dented.

I can add a picture of the clutch itself when I get home.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Bruce Mackay

Bruce Mackay New Member

United States
    Here is a video I uploaded to Youtube of my bike's failure to crank properly.

3. Bruce Mackay

Bruce Mackay New Member

United States
    I also just found out that the 1987 vfr700f2 has an even more similar starter clutch so similar that I think I am going to buy it. 28120-ML7-690

Attached Files:

4. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    I always thought the 1986 & 1987 bikes were the same.

5. Bruce Mackay

Bruce Mackay New Member

United States
    The 1987 bike is the vfr700fii vs the vfr700f and the starter clutch has a different part number. I know that the bikes are super similar I just don't know if that part is interchangeable between them.

6. Bruce Mackay

Bruce Mackay New Member

United States
    I just wanted to write a quick conclusion to what happened. I ordered the part from honda parts house and it did not work on my bike. The exterior pulse generator magnets were just not the right ones.

Luckily for me I live in the Minneapolis and there is a great local motorcycle junkyard called Sports Wheels in Jordan MN. To that end, it is no longer possible to buy a starter clutch new for this bike.

7. jvthree

jvthree New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Bruce, I have an 86 VFR with the same problem. Any chance there's another one of those at your local parts yard? Thanks Jim

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    that failure isn't too unusual, and BTW, an '86 VFR is considered 2nd generation. best to keep a watchful eye on ebay used VFR parts.

the 3 bolts holding parts together need a drop of blue locktite as they tend to back out.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  9. jvthree

jvthree New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed, the three bolts were all backed out quite a bit when I pulled the side cover.

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    well then, i'm theorizing that the loose bolts were a cause of the part cracking !