1st time honda, vfr owner. Long time rider.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Joseph Michael Murphy, May 19, 2019.

1. Joseph Michael Murphy

Joseph Michael Murphy New Member

Mexico
    Map
    I've been lurking this forum for about a year now. The information available here played a key factor in my decision to purchase a Gen 5 or 6 VFR800. Earlier this month I pulled the trigger on a Red, Gen 6('04). The bike has some light cosmetic damage(bumps, scuffs, sun damage & neglected) but I was able to pick it up for $1,800.00 USD. With the info I gathered from this forum and previous of motorcycles, I was able to sort out the hot running condition(temp switch & air bubble), perform the 3 basic mods(pair/snorkel/flapper) and get her on the road. I commuted all last week on it. It's honestly better than I had hoped.

I was hoping for a little better fuel mileage....
    What are you guys getting on average? Per mile or To the tank.
    What can I do to improve fuel mileage? The bike has somewhat high miles @ 60k.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Joseph.

https://imgur.com/lmevxIx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Samuel likes this.
  2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Depending on you’re right wrist, you can get close to 200 miles a tank.
    Do some spirited riding through canyons, I’ve seen 160 since Vtec is used frequently.
    Pipes good
    Stickers Yah NOOOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Joesph & welcome...

I get criminal milage 120-130 per tank (20+ litres) but the bike runs great - lol
    The trick is to stay off the VTEC range - below 6200rpm... But life is too short for that ...

Samuel and duccmann like this.
  4. Joseph Michael Murphy

Mexico
    Map
    Ugh, I know. The guy that owned this bike before me was a tool. I've scraped a bunch of that garbage off, new grips, bar ends. Bike needed both tires, I put RoadSmart iii Dunlop tires. It's a work in progress. new flea-bay knockoff fairing kit coming soon.

duccmann likes this.
  5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Bikes lucky you rescued it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Viffer J likes this.
  6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    hombres who have enough pesos to ride a deluxe VFR shouldn't fret about fuel mileage costs. you can find a 250 cc with 45 mpg+ if it's that important.

James Bond likes this.
  7. Joseph Michael Murphy

Mexico
    Map
    Most of the commuters here are 300 cc or less. I was getting 41.5 from my EX650A(650 ninja). I commute daily to San Diego for work (about 35 miles & 1 international boarder) and the little bike sucks on the toll road @ 100 mph. Those small bikes are cheap, because they are made cheap. The lighting sucks, the ride is super stiff with little travel, the controls and gauges are super basic. The VFR has none of that. It's like a Cadillac @ speed on the toll road and has great lighting. I was just a little surprised at the drop in MPG.

It's mostly the range. Not the pesos. Here in Mexico, fuel stations are not as readily available. long stretches down the Baja peninsula that are desolate. Stopping every day before work sucks too. But you can't have it all. The bike is 150 cc larger and a few lbs heavier. I'm going to re-gear the bike, It's the only option I can think of. That and re-mapping the fuel after I put a cat-less header, you can lean it out to 14:1 from the factory 16:1 ratio.

I know it's drastic, but I'm going all out. Two teeth in the front.