1st time rider+starter bike, advice or lessons?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by hugebigfatrhino, Feb 19, 2008.

1. hugebigfatrhino

hugebigfatrhino New Member

So my roommate and just bought a '91 VFR750. I've ridden a dirt bike before (minimally) and understand the basic concepts but how the *fudge am I supposed to learn to ride this thing? Any advice for a newbie? Anyone....??? Please...!?

PLEASE, ANY SORT OF RIDDING ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT, WE'LL READ IT ALL!

Also, if there's anyone around Boulder, CO that wants to run a crash course for me, let me know. I suppose I could pay you or I could buy you some drinks (read: bottle service, we've got connections) if you can get me past any sort of DMV certification course.

2. mikeym

mikeym New Member

Howdee Huge,

Practice practice practice! In PA they offer a riding course called MSF which teaches you how to ride and then get your license.

I took it after having rode a dirtbike with my permit for half a year... did it really help? Not really... I learned much more from the CSBA guys I ride with.

My best advice would be to take the bike to a parking lot or if you have a circle around your neighborhood and practice take offs using the clutch.

Once you master the clutch, the rest is cake.

Just remember.

Clutch in
    Press down to get into 1st gear
    Slowly let the clutch out while giving it a little gas

You'll probably stall a dozen times or more, but you will get the hang out it.

I'm not sure how the 750 is, but my concours I used to be able to let the clutch out without giving it any gas and the engine would pull the bike.

Good luck!

Wear gear to keep yourself from getting messed up.

If you'd like, I can see if theres a local CSBA guy in your area that can teach you to ride

~mikeym

3. hugebigfatrhino

hugebigfatrhino New Member

Yea, please let me know if theres a guy around here or point me to the right website.

Still, if you have any ridding advice, please post it. I'll throw it up in a wiki article because I promise that there are tons of others with similar questions...

Thanks,
    Rick

4. mikeym

mikeym New Member

Rick,

Here's a link to the Colorado Site... Which probably won't prove very helpful. I could say this though. If you'd like to give Bob a call (he's under the contacts) tell him that "Mikeym" sent you from the CSBA national chapter and that you are looking for someone to help teach you to ride. He may know some names.

I posted up a thread in the CSBA's forum here:
    http://www.christiansportbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=30237#30237

If somebodys out that way, I'm sure they'd hang out with you and help you out for free. I'm not sure where my buddy Big E lives out there, but he's the man and would definately help you out if he's close.

Plus you may be able to link up with the local CSBA chapter.

~mikeym

5. SCraig

SCraig New Member

PLEASE take an MSF course. The life you save may be your own. Here is a link to all of the official MSF courses in Colorado:
    http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=CO

The Beginner Rider Course (BRC) is usually 2 days of riding and a half day of classroom. You will learn a lot, it will prepare you for riding on the street, and most states recognize successful completion as sufficient for any licensing requirements. If Colorado requires a riding or written test for a motorcycle endorsement successfully completing an MSF course will probably preclude you from having to take it. Some insurance companies also give a discount for completing an MSF course. The biggest thing is that it just might keep you from getting hurt.

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    TAKE THE MSF COURSE BEFORE YOU TRY THE VFR!

Scraig nailed it!

BZ

7. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    BEST ADVICE - TAKE THE MSF COURSE. Why trust a lush - lol

8. tgreene5

tgreene5 New Member

I just purchased a 2002 VFR 800 after being off of bikes for 10 years. I rode for about 20. It's been sitting under cover, on my front porch, getting petted every morning, until I take the Basic Rider Class this weekend. I could just hop on and "practice", but I choose to care about my life and get a bit of practice and advice on re-entering the bike world. They've changed a lot and are a lot more powerful than when I was riding.

Get a professional, let them teach you, before you hurt yourself or someone else. Too many people are maimed and killed each year. You want to give yourself the best chance you can.

Theresa

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Like the others here, I'd recommend the course if you can afford it. If you can't then at least practice on a big parking lot doing take offs and stops, low speed maneuvers, etc. You can at least do things like figure 8s and stuff. You want to be very comfortable with your clutch/brake action before you get into serious riding on the road. But if you can, take the course just to help you with your comfort level. I never took the course but I have been riding over 30 yrs and still gave it serious thought. I just never heard about the course until I had been riding 20 yrs.

10. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Three letters...MSF

MSF!!!

11. Mainjet

Mainjet New Member

United States
    Map
    I would consider learning on a lighter machine. The weight & height of your VFR will compound any mistakes. Older 250 ninjas and other machines in that class can be bought pretty cheap. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your learning curve.

12. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Take a safety course. Have we made that clear? Good.
    Next...while you are waiting to do that, and you just can't stand it...
    Make sure you have the correct gear-helmet, gloves, boots, and leathers/mesh
    Find a paved area that has NO TRAFFIC, NONE and practice getting a feel for the engine, throttle, clutch, brakes without getting out of first gear.
    This is how I started with ZERO experience. Day 1-starting procedures, familiarization with all operating levers, knobs, switches. Day 2-clutch/throttle meshing(very low revs, expect to stall motor) Day 3-first gear/braking. I rode a hundred miles in circles in first gear wearing all apropriate safety equip in a safe environment.
    The course will teach you important things like turning, cornering, traffic dos and don'ts and lots of other cool stuff.
    Please know that every other vehicle is out to get you, so you must learn to ride defensively and offensively-that takes time and work. Once you do all of that, I bet you will be as hooked as the rest of us.

13. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    i would definately a riding course. i had a yamaha frz 600 for my first bike and totalled it within 6 months. as far as i am concerned these are not beginner bikes

14. mikeym

mikeym New Member

I see no problem whatsoever practicing starts and stops and going around cones in a closed parking lot or in your development... Yea theres a possibility you'll dump the clutch and your bike will go skittering across the parking lot.... but if you are a level headed guy, it probably won't happen.

Check out the PM I sent you. My buddies in the area should be able to give you a hand and teach you the basics in a parking lot.

15. V-FouRce

V-FouRce New Member

Map
    Nothin I can tell you that hadnt been said already, MSF, Im taking it again, and Ive been riding for many years. Theyll teach you everything you need to know, cept how to control yourself! Good Luck!

16. aawhite

aawhite New Member

Take all your fairings off, wear hockey gear including helmet without the stick though.. hop on your bike, start it, pull in the clutch give it as much gas as possible. When you see the needle dribbling between 11000RPM and 12000RPM release the clutch completly. This will prevent your bike from stalling and if you're bike happens to do a back flip, no worries you're protected and your buddies will never know it happened when you put the fairings back on.

PS- Get one of your friends or buddies to video tape it and put it on youtube.

Good luck! :)

17. aawhite

aawhite New Member

Oh and don't forget to gear down to first while you have the clutch in.

18. fuji1

fuji1 New Member

You can go two ways.

!) you buy the best running worst looking small bike and gain skills. (this is the best way because you can sell it for the same you bought it for a season later).

2) Buy a hayabusa smack it up and scare yourself then sell it to me for cheap.

Kidding on #2 but I've seen a lot of bikes that people bought because they thought they would grow into. They scare themselves and sell them a few years later for cheap $. When they do the guys that took their time and learned safe and slow buy them and enjoy your loss.

To prove I'm right look in the want ads for low mileage HDs. They are heavy and returning riders get scared and sell them.

Joe

19. XRayHound

XRayHound New Member

I started on my FZ-1. I still have it. It's not totalled. LOL.

My advice = just ride.

20. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Ah, THAT argument! Only slightly less flammable than the other famously argument-provoking threads. >>>Having a large machine be your first motorcycle...in general many of us would say to start on a 250 and work up but after all, there ARE many examples of people successfully starting on a big bike and riding for years without incident. It depends on the maturity level and skill level. Like so many things, having power doesn't mean you must use it. There is no substitue for good teaching and sensibility. You can kill yourself on a bicycle if you are stupid. You can ride a Hayabusa if you have a brain and restraint.