20 Nov. Laguna Seca Track day report....

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by goinphaster, Nov 23, 2008.

1. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

It had been over 5 years since the last time I had went to a track day, so I had to make my break out big. Laguna Seca it was to be. $290 big too. All my other track days had been at Button Willow (four times) a local track to where I lived, and one trip to Mid Ohio where it rained hard the entire day (back when it still had concrete strips in the race line....).
    Because it had been forever since my last track day I went with Keigwins at the Track, a very professional team if I must say so, and my third time using Lance and his team. Lance also holds New Racer Schools for those needing it, or wanting to race in the AFM Series. I showed up bright and early with my Dad and my Best Friend and Riding Buddy in tow, my Dad the Crew Chief and my Buddy the Moral Support (he had never been to a track day so he came along to see what it was all about). It was at tech inspection that I learned that the rules had changed- all you need to do now is remove the mirrors and disconnect the tail light. No taping over all the reflectors and headlight, removal of all the turn signals, etc. Another thing I learned was put out at the riders meeting- passing is allowed, so long as it is done courteously (five foot separation, no stuffing).
    after the Riders meeting it was off to the sighting lap, which is I personally feel everyone should attend every event; it gives you a chance to get your mind right and feel out the bike before going all out at a insane speed, and it allows for sight pictures for the corners. One of the biggest things I noticed was how wide Laguna is, Buttonwillow this was not! Some of the corners are a little deceptive in that you think they are narrower but once you actually go through them it becomes clear. The other thing I noticed was the the Corkscrew drop off requires more than just 90 degree change of direction. 90 degrees will get you a ride in the dirt, you need to continue that turn to the 110 degree mark to avoid riding inside the Apex of the following rumble strip.
    I was riding the B- group of the three group format since it had been a while, and it worked out great because there were less riders in B-. I took the RVF400 out for the first session just because I have little more time to think than when I am running the CBR954. I have had the suspension on the RVF reworked with a Penske in the rear- and it made things sooooo fun. It made mid corner changes easy, and fun, very confident inspiring. Even then, I still took it over to the Catalyst Reaction Trailer to get the suspension dialed in: this was the first track day for the RVF. The next session I took out the 954, and had a blast as well. I had done the front end up with Race Tech Springs and Gold Valve Emulators II and it all worked out pretty good, but again I took the bike over to the suspension guru's after the session to get it dialed in. They had a pretty good price going on, $20 for one time set up, $40 for the entire event- and he didn't charge for an extra bike! Lets just say I'm not touching the settings on either bike:thumbsup: I did find out the rear shock needed a rebuild, every two years if you ride hard or alot.
    in between the 2nd and third session I wandered over to the BlueMilk.com trailer to sign up for for a CD with every pic taken of me during the event. It was $68, and it was pics of me racing around Laguna in very high resolution- the guy does pics for magazines on races. I also went over to the Vision Wells guys to get my on track theatrics on camera so I could relive the event. I sprung for the deluxe package of $148 that includes; a guy following me with a camera, a camera on my helmet, a on screen lap timer, and a track animation showing which turn im in. Once the editing is done the guys will email me a link for a clip of my fastest lap, that I can post up for all to see- So stay Tuned!
    It was about the third session that I started turning up the heat and really riding hard, and for the first time I got to drag my knee, in turn 3. I did get my left knee down a couple of times, but mostly it was the right knee touching down in turns 3,4 and 10. I was able to get my left knee down in turn 2 and 5, but 6 scared the crap outta me cause it had a dip at the apex that caused the left peg (and boot) to scrape when the suspension to compressed. I loved 2, 3, and 4 because of their sweeping nature, and I even got to pass a couple of riders on the out side in these turns- not to worry, I got passed plenty! the Keigwin coaches were there to remind me how slow I really am! As the day wore on I got to see how I stacked up on other riders in my group, and trail braking seemed to be one of my advantages. Many of the riders would be afraid to trail brake into turn 2 after the long front straight, and coming onto it in turn 11.
    Speaking of the front straight, it was fun! You come out of turn 11 wringing out the throttle for everything you got trying to get the drive going up the hill. Once you get to the top your in turn 1 still going strong leaning the bike to the left while aiming for the outside of the track for the set up of turn 2. When you pop up from behind the fairing and start braking on that down hill the wind trying to rip your helmet off coupled with the front of the bike diving from the hard braking makes for a sensation like your falling out of the sky. Also when your leaned over hunting for the visual cues of the bottom of the hill make looking ahead very important.
    Some of the interesting notes of the event was the requirement of the stock exhaust. Laguna Seca is a county run track, and as such they have instituted a 93db sound limit. After turn five (full throttle up hill drive) there is a sound booth where a person sits and their only job is to radio in the offending bikes number to the flag man. I was never flagged because the Stock Exhausts did a wonderful job of nuetering both bikes. It did highlight the ever sweet sounding gear driven cam whine of the RVF. The cool weather the at the track was something I was kinda worrying about, it was a high of 63 in Monterey, but it was around 68 on the track. I was wearing underarmor in the suit and even though it was cool out I was sweating like crazy!
    Since I have wasted 10 minutes from you all that probably want it back (sorry no refunds) with my horrible writing skills I will now make the thread useful by posting some of the more interesting photo's:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these are just a taste, once I figure out the link to the album I'll post that up too. Once the Link for the Video comes in (inside the Week), I'll post that too!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

3. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

More pics.....

[​IMG]

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    looks like a blast. Tori, Brian, and I just got back from Willow Springs last night and we all had a great time. No new scratches for any of us...

5. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

It was a very good track day for me, everything seemed to go well. It was also the itched that needed to be scratched- I find myself not going nuts on a simple ride into town....

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Nice goinfaster!

VFRW member betarace has run Laguna Seca, from what you and he have said, sounds like a wild track to ride.

Thanks for sharing.

BZ

7. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow

What a great day for you

Thanks for sharing ,and you did a pretty good job on your write-up, I thought

For those of us contemplating doing track days, you just added fuel to the fire

And you did it at Laguna Seca, maybe the best bike track ever.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

They have a very strict noise rule at Laguna, did you see any body getting black flagged for noise viloations? Was the Db sampling station in the same place all day (typically by the bridge between turn 5 &6) or did they move it around? Looks like you had a great time!