2001 800fi clutch slip/judder

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Catford Lad, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Catford Lad

Catford Lad New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi, apologies if this has been covered, I've had a look but couldn't find my issue. My 2001 800 has what I would describe as a grinding juddery clutch slip, and only from stationary. It doesn't feel like the usual smooth progressive slip of worn friction discs and/or springs, which is easy to ride around unless very worn.This is much more of a lurch. It can be ridden around if nursed very carefully from standstill, but really want to cure it!
    The 98 clutch had an anti-judder spring, but this was deleted from 99 onwards, so it's hard to imagine it could be that - ideas?

2. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    People think they can just ride VFRs forever with little or no maintenance. They never, ever service/clean/refurbish the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder. If you never, ever service this system it can deteriorate to the point that when you let go of the clutch lever it takes a while for the clutch slave cylinder to fully release its hold on the clutch basket.

3. Catford Lad

Catford Lad New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi Greg, both the master and slave cylinder are functioning perfectly and these were the first two things I checked, with seals changed if required. Apologies - should have mentioned this.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    At around 95000km my 99's clutch was gripping fine but was lurchy at the take-up point making a smooth take-off tricky. I replaced the fibre plates (EBC) and springs (for good measure) and the clutch action became smooth as silk.

5. Catford Lad

Catford Lad New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks Terry, I would never have thought the friction plates would give a symptom like that, but you describe exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll follow your remedy and see how we go. Thanks again.

Terry Smith likes this.
  6. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    So you're saying that you opened up and cleaned out both the master cylinder reservoir and the master piston? And you're saying that you opened up and cleaned the slave cylinder, and replaced the sliding seal on the slave piston? (I mean, it's a 20 year old rubber part). And you're saying that while you had the slave cylinder off the bike you also pulled out the clutch pushrod (the long metal rod that goes all the way through the engine from the clutch slave cylinder piston to the clutch basket throw-out bearing) and cleaned it and checked it for wear? And you're saying that when you inspected the inner surface of the slave cylinder there were no signs of the slave piston binding or rubbing? And what about that 20 year old slave cylinder piston return spring? Did you just replace it because was 20 years old and Honda calls it a "consumable item"?

If you did all that I'm totally cool.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  7. Catford Lad

Catford Lad New Member

United Kingdom
    Yes to all those. Fortunately all the procedures you describe are a straightforward and easy fix. Even though it wasn't the issue, it's always good to rule things out definitively. I also checked the pushrod for runout and was within 2 thou. (inches) - pretty impressive! Thanks for your description of a pushrod.