2002 VFR800 running hot, I think???

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by GR8TSCT, Aug 13, 2007.

1. GR8TSCT

GR8TSCT New Member

Map
    Hi, I just bought a 2002 VFR800 and I think it is running to hot. I am sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I couldn't find the thread in a search. In my area the outside temperature is between 90 - 100 F. The bike is running around 205 deg. around town. I am moving about 30-50mph. Is this a normal temperature for these conditions. When I get on the freeway at about 80 mph the temperature drops to about 160 deg. Can someone help me? Thanks for your time

2. rodon

rodon New Member

GR8:
    You sure it's down around 160 when you're on the freeway? That's actually running a little cool. I see 185-190 at the same speed & air temp.
    As for around town, looks like normal or even a little low too. If I'm tooling around town, it's not unusual to hit 220+, and then of course the fan kicks on. Hit a few stop lights and it's guaranteed to happen.
    Seems like if I'm running less than about 50 mph, the air flow through the radiators is not very effective, especially if I'm in "dirty" air behind some other vehicle.

HTH,
    Rod

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Sounds normal to me based upon the ambient temp. My '98 gets hot in slower traffic as well during those kinda temps. One thing to make sure of is the condition of your coolant, and that it has not broken down. If it is old, give her a flush, and put some engine ice in her or some good stuff. I sure would like my fan to come on earlier instead of 210 ish.

BTW, mine will get to 160-170 on the freeway as well.

4. wickedambush

wickedambush New Member

yep my 06 does the same. fan comes on often in traffic.

5. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

These bikes like to run hot. Putting in a lower fan stat can actually hurt the engine's efficiency at burning the gasoline. You're only running too hot if the temp gauge shows in the red and coolant then burps out of your radiator cap.

6. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Ok, as I get on my soap box once again, I know these engines run hot especially in traffic,but I hesitate to say they like to run hot. What I have done to calm down the high heat of my V-4 is I converted my fan to a manual unit. when I get in traffic and before the motor starts percolating, I hit the fan switch, this seems to really help keep the engine cooler, I also opened my cat converter and removed the grid, this also helped reduce temps alot. Some of the temps that the guys see in traffic example 225-235f are just to hot for an intrenal combustion engine, maybe it wont show a problem now but I believe it has to hurt the longevitivity of the motor, eddie

7. derstuka

Map
    Personally, I do not believe this altogether. An engine doesn't need to run at 220 degrees to burn gas efficiently, yes, it needs to be adequately warmed up, and hot, however, anything around 180-190 is plenty warmed up. I believe that Honda set the fan temp that hot for a number of reasons, one being so that it would help burn off any deposits in the engine/exhaust/cat. Engines can lose power if they get too hot. However, if you believe that does hurt your engine's efficiency at burning gas, what if you live in a climate/conditions where your bike always runs at 170-180, and never strays into the 200+ temps? Do you believe that an engine in these conditions to be less efficient even though the bike is fully warmed up? My bike never strays into the 200 club unless I am putting around the beach, or heavy traffic on a hot day.

Like I said before, I think that condition of the coolant should be checked, and maybe changed to a better one such as engine ice.

8. derstuka

Map
    Was this hard to do? Converting it to manual?

I wonder if there is a way to somehow change the temp that the fan kicks in at?

9. chesthing

chesthing New Member

When riding in heavy traffic with temps over 95 mine runs between 230 and 239, havent seen 240 yet. Fan is going all this time, don't know how it would make a difference changing when the fan kicks on. It runs around 185 if the temp is in the 80's or lower.
    I've never had it overheat or dump coolant out the reservoir, so I pretty much leave the display set to outside air temp and try not to think about it.

10. Hawkuk

Hawkuk New Member

Sorry can't help. New rider. Only observation I thought my 2K vfr was running hot at 102 yesterday in traffic, although ambient temp was only 16 here in Scotland and roads wet. Oh to have your weather to ride out in!

11. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

Drop in a lower temp fanstat.

12. John O'Leary

John O'Leary Guest

That's normal pal, just ignore it. Fan comes on around 98-100 and will stay on until it cools down around 94. Soon as you hit those 'A' roads, temp should pop down to the mid 80's.

13. derstuka

Map
    Do you know where I could get one? Are you talking about grabbing one from a different bike with lower temp setting to use?

14. Hawkuk

Hawkuk New Member

You're right John came down to about 80-83 in open traffic and bendy roads.

15. grinder

grinder New Member

Don't mess with it. It is not often that manufacturers screw something like this up. Only worry about it if the fan doesn't bring the temperature down. I live in a pretty cool climate and the fan will still kick in prolonged slow speed driving even if the temp is below 10 C. The side mount radiators need air flow to work. The fan provides it.

16. Moneysoon

Moneysoon New Member

Hey, Gr8 If you oil cooler is like mine - a gen 5- then it has no fan in front of it. It is cooled only by the air flow as the bike moves. The cylinders are glycol cooled and the transmission and lower unit is oil cooled. Once the air movement - the bike - stops the only cooling occuring is the fan air over the coolant radiator. Your still maing heat in the lower unit just by idleing. Your temps run just like mine at the ambients you mention. Keep the coolant changed with Honda HP2 50/50 premix and your are good to 256 according to my manual. Above that you will have to shut down.
    That (normal but) high operating temp is another reason to use a good oil. I use a full synthetic as its themal breakdown is >450 degrees and not about 350 with normal, mineral based oil.

Hope that helps. Greasy side down!

17. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    If anything it sounds a little cool to me. My '07 runs at 180-190F on the open road, and the fan kicks on at 220 in traffic.

18. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

Some aftermarket automotive fanstats will work on VFR's. Not sure which ones.
    However, say you found that a fanstat from a '89 Honda Civic will fit your bike. Just get have the parts guy cross reference a lower temp fanstat that will fit an '89 Honda Civic.

19. jurhip

jurhip New Member

I know this may be old hat, but the high temperature vs. engine performance or longevity is a subjet that is misinterpetted on most machinery available to the buying public. It is not detrimental to the engine itself to run hot, the main components/fluids that are affected are oil and the bearing themselves. Oil itself really doesn't breakdown - the additive packages do and viscosity decreases as temperature rises. That being said, all modern oils (mineral and syn based) are relatively good performers. True, some may increase crank HP and help minimize wear in harsh conditions such as water entrainment, extreme loads (i.e gear lubrication) and heat, but given proper maintenance and operation (even per honda long oil change intervals of 8K) when has anyone actually experience a purely oil related failure? How about on a car? I think it is really rare these days and if one happened, I would be skeptical of it being purely oil related. Long story short, oil likes cold temps to maintain viscosity but motor oils are designed to take the engine temps normally seen (that is why we run motor oil with additives to lubricate ours gears and not straight turbine oil)
    Anyway, the other item, roller bearings, found throughout the engine on ancilliary equipment are typically heat treated in the 350F range. If heated above this approx temp, the metal loses its treat and life drops significantly. I am guessing this temp is well below the OIL temps seen on any engine unless something went really wrong.

The normal running temps of a VFR, and the limits set by Honda are well withing modern design capabilities ard really any motorcycle grade oil you put in. So, as long as your temps don't get near those limits, don't worry and have fun riding. Think about it, do you worrry about the coolant temp on your car. Only if it goes in the red right? I always find it funny that people seem to treat their motorcycles as some vastly different beast than their cars.

20. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    I live in the desert.my VFR runs 220f with the fan coming on,not to worry,send you some death valley pics.The heat should not worry you,my temps go 220f before and the radiator comes on.As long as that cooling system kicks in, I would not worry.I don't drive in traffic.We always must b aware.