2002 Weak Electronics...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by filegiant, Jan 19, 2004.

1. filegiant

filegiant New Member

Hi,

Just picked up a "new" 2002 VFR and am already having doubts about the electrical system's ability to hold a charge. I left the lights on a reststop during a ride today for a few minutes and could not start the bike without a jump start. I could not find any information on the Honda site regarging a rumored recall. Any information would be greatly appreciated! I've got an electric vest I need to install :-/

2. Guest

Guest Guest

There is a well-known alternator/stator recall for '02 VFRs. Check with your dealer on this. Also, check out the VIN number punched on the right/top of the frame (not the sticker on the left). If there is a punch mark to the right of it the alternator has already been replaced.

3. filegiant

filegiant New Member

I took it down to the dealership since I already had an appointment. They said all the warranty/recall work was already done while owned by the previous owner. Great, but that means even with the "improved" alternator I've got to be extra careful running high-beams for extended periods, not to mention using my electric vest. Guess I'll have to keep the revs up.

4. Jozef

Jozef New Member

I run heated hand grips with no problems. I usually don't run high beams though and usually run well above 5000rpm. You may want to check the battery if it hasn't already been checked. You never know what someone may have done to it. You'll need to actually load test it to see if it's good. The dealer should be able to do it for you or many auto parts stores have a resistive device to check batteries.

How someone rides, over time, can greatly effect battery life in any vehicle. Low rpm, high beams type riding for short durations will drain a battery. A rule of thumb for motorcycle batteries is for every start you need to run above 2500 for 30 minutes to fully recharge the battery. This of course is just a rule of thumb and varies by manufacturer, battery type, ambient temperature etc. but it gives you an idea what it takes to keep the battery charged.