2007 VFR800 not starting

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by VFR1200, Sep 6, 2018.

1. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hi, I recently purchased a 2007 VFR800 with only 1900 miles on it. The bike will not always start 1 st time. I have to hold the throttle slightly and it tries to start and then will finally kick in.
    Sometimes it will not start and will reset the KPH to MPH and the time to 1am.

It tries to turn over, you can here it, it just won't kick. I am wondering about the spark plugs etc, but any ideas?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

First thing I would do is inspect the wiring for any loose grounds, burnt or melted wires/connectors and make sure the electrical system is in good shape, these bikes are known for their willingness to destroy the charging system and main fuse. That resetting of the clock is a good indicator of an electrical gremlin waiting to screw up your day! Also get the battery charged and load tested, then move on to the items below.

Open and inspect the air box/air filter and make sure no critter has made itself a comfortable nest out of your air box/air filter area. If all that is good, pull the spark plugs and see what they look like, they should be a light brown color, too dark and the bike is running rich, too light and the bike is running lean.

If all that looks good, check the engine idle when the bike warms up, it should idle around 1100 RPM +/-100 RPM. Personally, when you’re under the gas tank and dealing with the air box, I’d take the opportunity to pull the injectors and have them sent out and professionally cleaned, you’d be surprised what this will do.

3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Firstly charge up the battery then try again. It could be an old tired battery. Especially giving the symptoms.