2008's First Offroad Race

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by NorcalBoy, Jan 5, 2008.

1. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Just wanted to remind all of you that the First Race of the 2008 AMA/FIM Supercross series will be televised live on SPEED tonight starting at 10:00 Eastern and 7:00 Pacific. Due to the tragic cancellation of the Dakar Rally this should make this race the first major motorcycle race of the year.

The track will be a copy of the 1986 Anaheim track in which David Bailey edged out Rick Johnson to win what has arguably become known as the best Supercross race ever. The race is supposed to have a heavy 80's theme which should prove to be interesting. The racers and machines are supposed to be decked out in throwback gear and graphics, while the fans have been asked to show up sporting their best 80's threads. It should be pretty cool. As there hasn't been a whole lot of MC racing to watch for quite some time, this would be a good way to cure your cravings.

I hope you grab a cold one, tune in and enjoy the festivities. :couch2:

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    The 86 replica track will be for Aneheim 2. But it will still be interesting to watch. If last nights race was any indication, it looks to be an exciting season to watch. Will Stewart win the title again? Will Chad Reed step up an beat the champ? Will Kevin Windam finally put it all together and beat both Bubba and Chad?

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yeah I kinda got the dates switched around due to bad info, or my lack of reading comprehension, from the cycle world website. Haven't gone back to check which. It was probably my comprehension :rolleyes: .

Now that quite a few guys in the Supercross class have moved around to different teams and machines, the series was hinting that it could be a bit more exciting than it has been in the past. It didn't work out that way though. I was still expecting a lot more, don't know why, but I was. Saying that, it still appears to be the 2008 Stewart and Reed Supercross Series by Monster Energy. Although a sentimental favorite, in what could be his last campaign, I would be surprised if K-Dub won a race this year. The only drama will be for third place every week. The series has been this way ever since McGrath arrived on the scene, but I still like to watch the racing. The Lites West class looks to be somewhat of the same situation with Ryan Dungey and J-Law outclassing the rest of the field.

I'm going to Phoenix next weekend for the race and I will be attending the race in SF, so I guess I'm not that bored with it, LOL! I attend a few because the atmosphere is still pretty charged up and exciting. All of the guys that race the series are immensely talented and they are great to see live.

4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, K-dub shines more outdoors (or did). It's just the start of the season, so we will really have to wait and see. I am hoping some other riders can dig deep and make it interesting.