2009 Daytona 675 Review

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Nungboy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    After almost a year of scheming (see my previous thread about lusting after it), I was very fortunate to be able to add a Jet Black 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 to my garage (thank you to my wonderful wife!). :smile: I have had it about a month so I felt it was time for a review. This is not meant to be a thorough review; for that, please see the multitude of (very positive) reviews from the various moto magazines. The 2006-2008 Daytona won numerous awards and shootouts and the 2009 bike is nicely updated. The altered front cowl and the blacked-out engine cases are the only visual differences but there are many improvements to the motor, the suspension, and the brakes. A taller and more useable first gear is also new. Added are 3 HP and lost are 6 pounds of weight, mostly from the exhaust, rear wheel and sprocket.

What a machine! Despite having high expectations from owning a 2007 VFR, I am very impressed with the quality and design of the 675. Everything fits perfectly and operates seamlessly. It has a similar “fine watch” feeling just like the VFR. But, what is different is that this bike only tries to do one thing: be a sport bike. The most dramatic difference is the light weight and svelte shape. Being an in-line three cylinder, it is very narrow, especially at the seat/tank interface. Depending on what wet weights one believes for both bikes, the 675 is 100 to 140 pounds lighter than the VFR! Seeing the two bikes side by side is very telling (I have now nicknamed my VFR “Porky”). The 2009 Daytona puts out about 109 HP at the rear wheel. So, the combo of the power and the light weight is exhilarating. It does everything faster. Acceleration and braking are a joy. A three-cylinder bike is a great compromise…lots of torque like a twin but a very nice top end similar to an I-4. The amount of torque and the light weight make a squirt of the throttle in any gear mucho fun. It doesn’t have a slipper clutch but it is very easy to downshift without upsetting the bike. The amount of engine braking seems just right. It pulls hard from 1500 RPMs and never seems to stop. The 2009 has even more mid-range and top end power than the already exciting previous model. While it is a nice, linear power band, there is quite a nice increase around 8000 that just keeps building to redline (just shy of 14k). The throttle is easily controllable (more controllable off-throttle response than the VFR) The SOUND of this engine is wonderful. I thought the VFR was stirring but the Daytona’s exhaust howl is intoxicating. It is so nimble, flickable, and precise while still feeling very stable. Part of this is due to the excellent Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa SPs. Great tires! It is no wonder that several professional reviewers have called it the best road bike available of any size.

The seating is certainly more aggressive with a higher seat position and more weight on the hands but it is not excessive; this 50 year old has no problem being comfortable. The seat is fairly comfy for me but I am used to riding a road bicycle with a tiny seat. The flow over the small windscreen does not buffet at all and in general, the flow around and over the bike seems wind tunnel perfect. The instrument cluster is very friendly and while it does not have a outside temp gauge (I added a simple unit from an auto store) nor a fuel gauge (it has a light that comes on with a gallon to go in the 4.8 gallon tank), it does have a sophisticated Lap Timer with lap time, maximum speed, average speed, instantaneous fuel mileage and average fuel mileage. A user-programmable bank of blue shift lights adds to the functionality. So far I am getting at least 50 MPG (uses 89 octane).

Cons? Well, the single low beam and single high beam don’t throw as much light as the dualies on the VFR but they are projector beams so the quality of light is good. I switched to PIAA H7’s and H9’s for more light. There is some heat that one can feel on the inner thighs and some heat comes up through the seat from the (wicked looking) under-seat exhaust. But, it seems manageable even on 100 degree days in Tucson with full, perforated leathers. (What bike doesn’t have at least some heat issues?) It is probably not going to be your first choice for that 800 mile run but plenty of riders have tossed soft bags on it and done long trips.

On balance, it seems to be the perfect real-world road bike. It has enough power to be thrilling yet not over-baked like so many liter bikes. It is easy to ride; the confidence it inspires is only outdone by the fun it provides. It stands out from the crowd and turns heads because of its uniqueness and good looks. I had my first “thumbs up” from a cager 3 minutes after leaving the dealership. It comes in red, black, and there is a new pearl white Special Edition. I am overjoyed with this bike. Here is the interesting part: I find that I ride it about the same way as the VFR (it does not make me ride any more aggressively)…I just have more fun doing everything. My VFR is feeling jealous of Blackie.

Attached Files:

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty cool Nungboy!

BZ

3. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Thanks Bubba! I still love the VFR...it does things the 675 can't quite do. :thumbsup:

4. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    ah yeah the Daytona 675 - Really happy for ya!!! I like that bike a lot. I have been on a few that are owned by people in different MCs. I went up against a Kawi 636 and got busy with the Daytona 675. Don't know if you are into the track but let us know if you do a trackday with the Daytona 675 - really great bike. Congrats to ya!!!!!

5. base341

base341 New Member

Thanks for a great review.
    I've been looking at the 675 for a while. I don't think I'll ever sell my VFR, but like you I've been thinking about something sportier for shorter rides and eventually track days.
    Money is tight so it likely will not happen soon, but after hearing what your impressions of the bike are, I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.
    The thing I like about the Daytona is there aren't alot of them out there.
    I love the looks of the bike too.
    Enjoy that thing! Please update us after you get more miles on it.
    Don't forget to ride the VFR once in a while! hahaha