[2010 VFR1200] Unexpected acceleration burst - almost lost control TWICE

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by IlChengis, Oct 3, 2011.

1. IlChengis

IlChengis New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am posting this on behalf of my Dad.
    He has owned a 2010 VFR 1200 for several months and has put 2400 miles on her thus far.

During these 2400 miles, something very unexpected and dangerous has happened twice. The way he described it is that after deceleration, upon reapplying throttle and feathering the gas again, the bike would not respond for a small fraction of time, then suddently it would accelerate abruptly.

The first time it happened, it was quite unexpected and the acceleration burst was strong enough that Dad had to take tangible corrective action not to wind up on the floor. The second time it was nowhere near as bad, but startled him nonetheless.

My Dad has been riding bikes for about 45 years. He has owned over 30 bikes of all kinds, so he certainly isn't new to riding.

The bike was brand new and he picked it out of the crate. Certainly not a demoed/used bike. He spoke with more than one Honda Technician and he was told that there are no applicable recalls or ECU updates.

Have any of you guys heard or experienced anything similar on the new generation VFR?

If you have any clue or can point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Walter

2. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

The new ones are still VTEC, right? Has he had a VFR before? My first month or so with mine and I wasn't really used to the jolt at 6400 rpm (or wherever people say it is). It can be quite jarring if your aren't ready. It doesn't totally sound like that though...Maybe he downshifted through the gears to an RPM that was right around 6000 and he pulled the gas and it didn't kick in (or feel like it did) til it got past the VTEC point?

I have no experience with the new 1200s, so that is totally a guess and since he's so experienced of a rider and has had it for 2400 miles, I am sure now that it probably is something else...

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    :unsure: maybe his was built in the Toyota plant? :loco:

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    the new bike has throttle by wire. if is familiar with the older bikes, the throttle can see a bit snatch in stock form. so can the new one. My opinion is that the power commander would probably rectify it. If you are gonna have a dealer install one, then you could have the take a look at the trottle by wire system. Kill two birds as they say.

5. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    In first and second when the retarded ignition gets turned loose at about 5000RPM it can be rather abrupt. Well actually it can be very exciting. Try to narrow down when it occurs. It can be a very strong bike at certain times.