2014 FI1 fuse keeps blowing

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Economist, May 26, 2020.

1. Economist

Economist New Member

United States
    Map
    On the way to work this morning, about a mile from my house, my 2014 standard unexpectedly died. I was pulling away from a stop light and the engine lost all power, my revs dropped to zero as soon as I pulled in the clutch, my check engine light came on, and my gear indicator showed a dash instead of a number.
    My temp was in the 180 range, like usual at that point in my commute. I couldn’t smell any odd smells, and I wasn’t leaking any fluids.
    I pulled off to the shoulder and tried to start it up after a moment, and the engine turns over but never catches. I tried again after a few hours, same result. The check engine light is on, the oil pressure light is on like usual, and everything else is normal on the instrument panel except the gear indicator which is still a dash, even when I am in neutral.
    I can’t hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key on, which is not normal.
    Any ideas what this could be? The dealer isn’t open until tomorrow, apparently.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Yikes - your post may be the first 8th Gen failure reported here. So please keep us posted as and when you find the fault.

Your description suggests a sudden breakdown which suggests it is an electrical issue rather than simply running out of fuel.

If the bike has just come out of winter storage and you pulled the battery over winter, then I would check the battery terminals are tight and then check for blown fuses. Also check that you did not nudge the engine kill switch - it is well worth cycling the kill switch firmly on and off a few times which should help clear any build up of corrosion inside the switch.

If the starter is turning over at normal speed, it suggests the battery and charging system is OK.

You mention the check engine light came on but not whether it steady or flashing - if it was flashing then it indicates there is a stored a fault code?

Hope that helps - let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. philois1984

philois1984 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Have you tried moving the gear lever in to first or second then trying neutral again? My 8th gen sometimes shows a dash instead of neutral this normally fixes it. As the bike only starts in neutral this may be the problem.

4. Economist

Economist New Member

United States
    Map
    It is blowing the FI1 fuse intermittently. I made a post on the 8th gen board with the details.
    It is back at the dealer for the second time now, hopefully they can find the fault this time.
    The first time, They replaced the battery and the fuse and couldn’t get it to happen again.
    Since then, it has blown the same fuse three times and I have gotten pretty good at replacing the fuse on the side of the road. The bike has to be hot, and then if I hit a sharp bump, the fuse will blow, leaving me without any engine power.

5. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Sounds like a wiring fault. What you appear to be saying is that fuse is fine for the normal load running the fuel injection pump, but it fails when passing over a bump in the road. I would dig out a wring diagram/schematic and carefully check the relevant wiring - it sounds like somewhere the wiring is shorting.

6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Kinda sounds like intermittent short, look for spots wire harness rubs on metal and maybe worn through from vibration.

7. Sir Snarl

Sir Snarl New Member

United States
    Map
    Did you figure out what caused this? I am suffering same issues.

8. Dannoxyz

Dannoxyz New Member

United States
    Map
    Very simple to track down:

1. identify which circuit is blowing fuse

2. look at wiring diagram for wires belonging to that circuit

3. trace wiring for that circuit from fuse-box

at some point, you'll probably find frayed section where insulation has exposed bare wires within. Hitting bumps may cause this bare section to short to other bare wires or to frame.

9. Sir Snarl

Sir Snarl New Member

United States
    Map
    The fuse on my moto goes out when the engine temp is above 180. It happens randomly, and always happens at full throttle. I have inspected the wires that are visible when removing throttle body assembly. All hoses are properly attached.

10. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    So does this not suggest you need to look at some electrical appliance which operates when the temperature reaches 180? I would check the fan spins freely and the motor is not seized and follow/closely inspect the fan switch (thermostat) wiring for signs of something earthing/shorting out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  11. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I would check the grounds first, with that kind of issue.

12. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Here's a list of all devices powered by Fuse Fi 1 10amp. All via a Black/White Wire.

- Main ECM Power at A4.
    - PAIR Solenoid Control Valve.
    - Bank Angle Sensor.
    - Power for All Ignition Coils.
    - And if your bike has it, the EVAP Purge Control Valve.

Suggest to start with the above devices and working back to the fuse box. See if you can follow the wiring loom back to the fuse box area looking for any obvious signs of pinching, frayed, chaffed or exposed wiring for the Black/White wire where it could potentially touch frame causing the short. With the engine running and with the tank raised and whatever fairings you can remove to access the wiring, try moving the wiring loom by hand in any area you can access it, see if you find an area that when moved blows the fuse.
    The other issue is there may also be some other device powered from the ECM that may be drawing excess current that might be blowing the fuse.
    This might not be something easy to find!

Note - Cooling Fan on the 8gen is controlled directly from the ECM from the ECT sensor information, this energises the fan Relay and is powered from its own fuse separate from Fi1 Fuse.

Good Luck.

13. Economist

Economist New Member

United States
    Map
    My dealer eventually found the fault. The harness under the battery area had rubbed on something and it eventually caused an intermittent short. Bumps were making the exposed wire contact something and short out. Not sure why it only happened when hot. Thermal expansion?
    The dealer wrapped up the wire and it has been fine for more than a year.

14. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Good news. Sir Snarl will need to have a good look in the same area.

skimad4x4 likes this.
  15. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    I agree and it would also be great if Sir Snarl can confirm whether he has encountered the same issue and ideally provide feedback (with photos please) if on inspection he finds wiring damage has occurred in the same location - just in case this turns out to be the start of a common issue with 8th Gens which other owners will wish to check for...

Grum likes this.
  16. Sir Snarl

Sir Snarl New Member

United States
    Map
    I am just now finding this reply. I went through my harness with an ohm meter and couldn't find a single damaged wire. What is DID find was my main relay had heat issues. The plastic cover that goes over the top is slightly deformed. Neither of the fuses show heat damage. I have low compression currently. I cannot say for a fact that the fuse blowing has been eliminated at this time.