2014 VFR800 Deluxe vs 2014 Ninja 1000, I'll start

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by jeepinoutwest, Mar 4, 2014.

1. jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest New Member

Please be kind. I did my best to get the most accurate figures I could I am just looking for the best comparison I can find. The rest is where I need you guys for what I left out. I will buy one of these. My last bike was a '12 Ninja 1000 ABS which I sold because I was concerned about the cavitation issue and the fact that if the rear sprocket was not lubed every 200 miles it would squeak like hell.

-----------------------2014 Ninja 1000---------------------------------2014 Honda VFR 800

Price------------------$11,999.00-------------------------------------- $13,499.00
    Weight-----------------509lbs-------------------------------------------536lbs
    Horsepower------------125bhp at rear wheel--------------------------95bhp at rear wheel
    Brakes-----------------high end monoblock-----------------------------high end floating
    Suspension-----High end adjustable with hand knob------------------High end adjustable with tools
    final drive------------chain-----------------------------------------------chain
    Traction Control:------4 stage with rain mode--------------------------1 mode always on
    ABS--------------------standard------------------------------------------standard
    Swingarm-------------conventional--------------------------------------single sided
    Centerstand-----------not available--------------------------------------standard
    Heated grips----------kawasaki option-----------------------------------standard
    gear position indicator---not available-----------------------------------standard
    seat height ---------------32.3---------------------------------------------31 or 31.8
    quarter mile--------------10.6 sec-----------------------------------------11.3 sec
    0-60-----------------------3.0 sec------------------------------------------3.4 sec
    top speed-----------------150mph GPS------------------------------------146 mph
    Variable value timing-----no------------------------------------------------yes (this is a negative)
    Luggage------perfectly integrated givi factory option---------------------forthcoming
    build quality--------------8 of 10-------------------------------------------9 of 10 (subjective)
    alternator output---336w, 136w reserve max, unconfirmed #s---------470w, 110w reserve max, many reported isues
    Engine maps------2 maps, full power and 70% power rain mode-------1 map full power
    MPG-----------------------39 mpg------------------------------------------40 mpg
    Valve Adjustments-------15K-----------------------------------------------16K plus VVT complexity cost
    Lights---------------------Halogen-------------------------------------------LED
    Know issues----need to bleed oil at oil change to prevent cavitation-----electrical system/rectifier know issue
    ------------------------(probably not an issue)
    Seating position-----Stock all day comfortable sport touring--------------much weight on wrists due to low clip ons (see options)
    Available accessories---heated grips----------------------------------------15mm bar risers

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    IMO most here will tell you to get the Ninja.

3. jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest New Member

That may be so but why?

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sorry, I lied.

5. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe let the motorcycle media due some testing before drawing any conclusions. Has someone done an actual road test with 2014 VFR at this point? As both bikes are "sport-tourers" its a matter of time before you see some head to head comparisons in print or online.

6. jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest New Member

Good point!

7. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't like Kawasaki's motorcycles. I find them to be totally devoid of character, and I think the company is an industry follower, year after year. Get the Honda. It may have its flaws, but it's got twice the character of the Kawi. Also, given the things you seem to be drawn to in the Kawi (more power, no vtec), is there a reason you're not considering the VFR1200? You can easily pick one up brand new in the price range you're looking at.

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    It's a difficult choice and would depend a lot on the feeling I got when riding each one of them. If you are totally in love with a SSSA and v4 the choice is easy. If that is not that big of a deal, well then the kawi is starting to look like a win.

9. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Get the Ninja.

10. thesuper8

thesuper8 New Member

get the ninja.

11. Mark919

Mark919 New Member

United States
    Map
    Compare the insurance rates. When i looked at the Ninja 1000 the insurance was something like a $1000 per year penalty. That was enough to make it an easy decision for me.

12. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    This will be interesting with the insurance rates. The VFR tends to be ridden by more mature and cautions riders, while the ninja has younger and less cautious riders. Pretty much the same thing between Accords and Civics...

13. jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest New Member

I ruled out the VFR1200 due to weight alone. I am trying to stay as close or under 500lbs. Also I don't like its seating position of the 1200 but maybe they make risers for that VFR too?

14. Gundecker

Gundecker New Member

The Ninja in question is one ugly assed mc in my opinion. You had a '12 model, is '14 going to be that radically different?
    If it were me? I'd find a clean ZX 14. That sir is beast!! YourMileage may blah blah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I hate two things: The color ninja green and the name "ninja"
    My decision is already made, plus nothing beats the smooth power delivery of a V-4. Carry on.

16. jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest New Member

I really want my next bike to have traction control! The Ninja has a 4 mode system (including off) and the honda is a 1 mode system. Also The ninja has two power map settings 70% and 100%. Neither of these things were on the 2012 model. Plus there are other upgrades especially to the brakes, suspension and luggage system so to me its a host of improvements all making it much better than my 2012.

17. Gundecker

Gundecker New Member

On the improvements, I stand corrected. Tough choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Get the VFR.

19. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Get both of em!

20. nih

nih New Member

Map
    insurance by age/CC/bike model/driving record, an estimated age of riders of a certain bike isn't in the formula.

how many miles can you put on a kawi? VFRs are 100k+ bikes now, assuming 2014 will be as well. how long will you own either? resell on VFR maybe better? seems liter bikes w/ ~20k have huge depreciation.