2014 VFR800 Rear Break line replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Dedtek, May 8, 2019.

1. Dedtek

Dedtek New Member

United States
    Hey everyone. I recently replaced my clutch & Front Break lines on my 2014 800. I'm wanting to do the rear break lines, but it looks pretty complicated and I'm not finding much online/youtube etc. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any good information on how best to do it? I'd be very grateful.

2. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    Do you have the Service Manual available ? There are some to be found online. I would start there if I were you (and if I would think I could do the trick)...

3. Dedtek

Dedtek New Member

United States
    Yeah, I have seen the service manual. It doesn't go into that level of detail on how to replace the break lines. It requires (I believe) removing quite a bit of hardware to get to the blocks that connect to the ABS hardline under the seat.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

In the front of the manual, there should be a section that details the routing of the brake lines. That is a good reference as to how they run. The manual will show how to remove the specific pieces required to gain access. You will have to determine what you need to do to make it easier on yourself. Remove everything necessary to access the locations, take a lot of detailed pictures for every step of the disassembly. Keep track of the order of how things came apart, reverse the list to reassemble. If you run across any questions, revert back to your pictures. All of the information is available, you just have to determine the sequence of events on your own and piece the entire process together and develop your own procedure. If you don't feel comfortable with that, I would politely suggest having someone do it for you.

Diving Pete likes this.
  5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Basically what he is saying (using a babel fish to translate) is its a real pain in the ass & if you are even a little bit uncomfortable doing this then maybe you shouldn't.

6. Dedtek

Dedtek New Member

United States
    Yeah, I have a friend who is a superb motorcycle mechanic, who helped me do the front brake/clutch lines who will also help me for the rear. I was just hoping to find something handy like a youtube video or something to assuage my trepidation. Alas, there is not so much available info for the Gen 8s. Thanks anyway.

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That is the kinder, gentler, new me :Hippie: I'm not going deter folks from doing anything, that's how ya learn, just be cognizant of what you are getting yourself into. It might end up being a scrum, there might be some cussing, there might even be some blood, and there is a definite possibility of frustration.