2014 VFR800FD two up riding feed back, HELP!!

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by V45mikie, Apr 11, 2015.

1. V45mikie

V45mikie New Member

United States
    Ok gang, I've just been asked by a lady friend take her out on my VFR which is really cool!! However I'm not a big two up rider but I've done a bunch on a VF750F so I'm not totally too terrified. I'm just looking for feed back on how the 2014 works two up and what suspension settings to work with.
    I've also got a issue with the max bike weight payload at 388 lbs max and with the two of us are going to get close to that number with me being around 225Lbs.
    Should I go rent/borrow a ST1300 or a FJ1200 or something!

Any feed back would be great!!
    Thanks!

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I would just stiffen the rear all the way and give it a go....and maybe have one of those borrowed bikes in the garage for back up.
    It didn't happen without pictures.
    Good luck

3. vfrfly

vfrfly New Member

Does great 2 up. I doubled Diana 1300 kms and it was easy. ride more and worry less.

4. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 240 lbs in gear, and the wife is a little less than half that. The steering slows a little 2up, but other than that the bike does just fine. We never bottomed out, and the brakes are more than sufficient. Just take it easy until you get a feel for how it handles.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

When riding, whether two up or solo, setting the sag makes a big difference. Your steering probably slowed due to the rear sitting lower than it should have. Not sure if your bike has the remote preload adjuster, as that's would make changes easier. My original shock needed the spanner wrench and was a PITA to always change it back and forth. I ended up putting the ABS model shock on my bike and it's so much easier now to make sag adjustments, as the ABS model 6 Gen has the remote preload adjuster.

6. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    Roger that, but the knob only turns so far. I'm planning on all new springs and shock soon.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    When I test rode the 1200 my wife was with me and it did fine. I just didn't try to ride like I would silo.no worries.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Wherever you end up buying from, be sure to let them know what your riding weight(s) will be, solo and with pillion and what type of riding you will primarily be doing i.e. Sport, touring, commuting, etc. Ideally look for custom valving as well as spring rates when shopping around. A lot of us VFRW members have gone to Daugherty Motorsports as Jamie (The Owner) is not only a VFRW member but a VFR owner and knows them pretty well, if I do say so myself, I had both my VFRs suspension redone by him.

Cheers