2015 DCT downshifts restrictions

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by nikkon, Aug 22, 2017.

1. nikkon

nikkon New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    Hi,

Someone made an observation and made me think about the subject. I usually use the drive mode in town. If I need instant power I just hit the - button and downshift 1 or 2 gears then accelerate. A friend (much more experienced then me in general) told me that this will destroy my DCT. I expect Honda to test it before release it and enabling this option. I ask you too just because I need to make sure and stay calm.
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    DCT gearboxes do the same as a manual gearbox, just with mechatronics rather than hands and feet. Would I drop two gears to accelerate by whipping the clutch in and tapping down twice? Hell yeah.

I think it is safe to assume that Honda have set limits to the DCT system to prevent any action by the operator that would result in engine damage, so for example you can't drop so many gears that you would exceed the allowable engine revs.

I have only ridden one DCT bike (Africa Twin) but have done more than 200,000km with VW/Skoda's DSG gearboxes in cars, which use the same twin clutch principle.