3-8-09 Track day * Buttonwillow

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Tori, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Hitting the track this sunday at Buttonwillow, CA. if anyone wants to make a track day on short notice.

Keigwins is putting it on,.... $160 for the day. B group spots left only.

2. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Alright yah dead beats....... in case anyone cares,...... i had another great day at the track :biggrin:

Got some good instruction and help with some of my lines,..... even tried a new camera angle. Have a look,.... enjoy.

YouTube - Lap around Buttonwillow Raceway

3. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Damn, Tori "The Doctor" Miller right there.

4. AtomAnt

AtomAnt New Member

Map
    Nice Riding! The guy in the background at :56 probably didn't have such a good day tho...

5. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    nice video. looks very fast-how fast were you going? glad you had a blast there tori.

6. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys,....... although it looks fast, im not super fast. B group is where im riding now, and probrably where i'll stay. I dont need to be A group fast. I am getting faster, and actually had the thought while i was out there honkin' along...... thought to myself,...... I realized am going faster then i really want to crash at this pace.

Anyway,..... the guy that went down actually found my video on YouTube and im getting him copy of it. He's fine, and know's exactly what went wrong. Stuff happens.

7. chickwebb

chickwebb New Member

I was there, as well, and it was a great weekend. Weren't you out in B- on Saturday for a session or two? I think I recall following you around for a while; caught up to you but couldn't find a place to pass.

Weather was perfect, Lance ran a good event (as usual), and the grid managers did a pretty good job keeping the asshats in B+ group under control. Hmmmm... Stuff happens. That's one perspective, I suppose. However, it looks like the guy that didn't go down clearly sniped the other guy's apex, which is exactly what you're not supposed to do at a track day.

I've been working on videos myself, and have completed a couple. Here, for your viewing enjoyment:

Buttonwillow Raceway, 3/8/09, B- Group, 11-11:20 AM, Part 1

Buttonwillow Raceway, 3/8/09, B- Group, 11-11:20, Part 2

8. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    Nice ride Tori! That looked like a "dani pedrosa torpedo" move at 0:57! :pound: Looks like he was cut off because of a bad line by a slower rider.

Your technique is smooth and there are no wasted movements; just like a pro> :thumb: I can only aspire to ride like that! I'm truly jealous.

9. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Thats was Reg's excuse with me too...

10. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Chick, didn't know you were there. Sorry i missed you. Would have been fun to race around with you and meet you.
    I was not there on saturday, just sunday. Strange how we never came across each other in that whole 11am session. That was a good session for me, the first two were crappy. Track was too cold, and i couldn't get traction. Kept sliding the rear on all the black patches. :eek:

Yes, stuff does happen. Have you ever gone down ?
    No need to start a pissing match over it, but here's another perspective.

The rider directly behind me was Robert. He's one of Lances instructor/marshals. You can see him at the beginning of your video. He's the guy to the right starting everyone.

He was giving me instruction and following my lines. As you know turn 2 is a bitch. Most people get the apex wrong (including myself and this guy that went down) Robert didn't cut accross this guys apex. Afterall, how would he know what apex the rider behind him will be taking ? This is the repsonsibility of the rider that went down. Its his responsibility to not make passes that aren't safe, and you do not charge into a corner like that where you cannot pass.

If he hadn't have been up Robert's ass this wouldn't have happend and they each could have taken whatever line thru that corner they wanted.

Now....... with all that said, it was a damn fine day out there. Let me know the next time you'll be out there. That little chic-adee that started out directly in front of you could ride, by the end of the day she was getting pretty fast. Oh, and did you know the guy you came upon at 0:24 - 1:09 in the second video is a double amputee ? Yep, from the knee's down. Kurt was with our camp, and was riding an old '92 GSXR 750. Pretty amazing guy.

I see you were running a lap timer,..... i was seeing 2:26 times, I was using one for the first time as well, and although i didn't fully know how to work the damn thing (borrowed it) the best i laid down were a couple 2:21/22's. I :thumbsup:

11. chickwebb

chickwebb New Member

Didn't know any VFR'rs were going to be there or I would have looked you up. You were with the double amputee, eh? I saw him checking in and thought, "there's something you don't see everday." He did OK out there. I know I saw you - those leathers are pretty unique - must've been one of the morning sessions on Sunday.

You are correct, of course; the person that's behind has the resposibility to avoid. In the video, you couldn't really see if the guy taking the tight line was coming up from behind or the guy sweeping in from the right (your left) was. It looked like the guy sweeping in was ahead, but I don't know if he was being passed or was passing. At a trackday, if you overtake somebody, and don't do it in a way that leaves enough room for the "overtakee" and then the guy goes down, he's got a beef, though. I did it to a guy (he didn't go down, though) and had to go find him in the pit to apologize. He wasn't too happy with me, though he did appreciate the apology.

It was a good day. Great weather. Warmed up nicely. Even turn 3 (or 2, depending on how you count) got sticky eventually.

Both Daniel (the girl in the video) and I moved up to B+ in the afternoon. She lowsided in turn 1 on the last lap of the last session. Ooops. Didn't get hurt though, according to the email she sent. We were both running 2:23-2:22s in that session, with clear track. My best laps of the day/weekend. I feel sorry for my RC, though; it's capable of so much more and deserves a better rider. :rolleyes:

I'll let you know the next time I'm heading down south. Probably once more this year.

12. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Cool. Sounds good. Look forward to hearing from you.

Bummer about Daniel, she was movin' along, and when i wasn't riding hard, she was blowing past me.

Oh yeah,...... my leathers. LOL. They are rather...... "festive" aren't they. LOL. I bought them used off ebay from the UK. They fit, and were inexpensive. I've got $100 in them and they are very good quality. I've even had the "opportunity" to crash test them once. :biggrin:

13. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    That looks like soooooo much fun.