4 into 1 header questions

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Army86VFR750, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Army86VFR750

Army86VFR750 New Member

I have the chance to get a used 4 into 1 header system, and have a few questions;
    1. What slip-ons are ther that fit, and what looks/sounds good
    2. Do you need to re-jet?
    3. Does it really make a difference?
    4. Is $100 a good price? Make unknown, slightly rusty, no dents.

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I dont know a lot about your ride but, typically if you change the flow characteristics of air in and air out in an engine, you will have to match an optimum fuel/air mixture to get it to run right. So chances are you will have to re-jet.

Cant really make a stab at your other questions.

Good luck,
    MD

3. fatso1277

fatso1277 New Member

I'll take a stab at it..

1. without knowing make or measurements, not sure what will fit, but i am sure with a little ingenuity anything can be made to fit. i am going to put a kawasaski zx7 can onto mines(got it free so why not). where there is a will, there is a way. There is a link in one of these forums that have various sounds clips of different cans. i guess its what works best for you.

2. yep, rejetting would be a good idea. also definitely a k&n filter.

3. i have read different post on this one. some say it does, others say it doesnt. i would suppose the ability to breathe better may make a slight difference in gains. might wanna add a jet kit
    (factory or dynojet) but gas mileage will suffer. a bike sounding better is always a plus to me. i would also suppose taking it down to 1 can will reduce weight of bike so it feeling slightly lighter could work to your benefit. again i guess its what matters to you.

4. $100 isnt a bad price for a 4-2-1 headers that only needs some cleaning. once you have the measurements you need to know you can catch a slip on somewhere on ebay for about 150-200 for a good solid named slip on..so you figure $300-$350 for the total exhaust system, when some are paying $500-600 for a system. again its what matters to you. but to me $100 bucks isnt a bad price.

hey good luck...post some pics and sounds clips whenever you are done.

4. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    (1) the answer to this TOTALLY depends on the manufacturer of the baffle. most 4-2-1 systems are made to go together with a muffler made by the same company. for example, my Laser deeptone 4-2-1 system accepts a muffler with a THREE inch inlet (im yet to see another bike with a similar muffler, and if anybody DOES see one, please tell me!)

(2) yes. without question. if you dont, the bike just wont run right.

(3) yes, it absolutely does!!! increased power (espically low end), better sound, less weight, more fun. one thing that you need to know going into a 4-2-1 on these 1st gen viffers though, is that a 4-2-1 baffle seems to create a flat spot in the torque curve around 6-7k rpm's. i dont think anybodys found a way around this one yet, and ive personally just learned to live with it.

(4) $100 is an EXCELLENT price, provided you can find a suitable muffler to go onto that baffle. i wish you luck finding one.

in addition, fatso mentioned getting an air filter. now is definitely a good time if youre about to upgrade the exhaust.

other helpful tips on performance improvements for these bikes (and free, too!) include taking the snorkel off of the airbox lid. youll notice a really cool growl coming from under the gas tank evey time you open up the thottle all the way. Also, the state 2 jet kit i got for my bike recommended drilling a bunch of holes in the airbox lid, which also improved airflow into the motor, and made an even bigger difference in how loud that intake is now.

5. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    1= I have a Micron 4-2-1 header whit a Micron Race can Sounds great, a bit loud. I think the only one in production is Laser. Motad had one but not made anymore thro you find new systems on ebay.
    2= No jetting change, works werry good, in fact fule milage improved!
    3= less power under 6000rpm (feels so) but 7000 on pulls werry good to the read line, way longer than whit stock exhaust.
    4= For a new system exelent price. I buoght mine Micron new as leftower from a dealer whit 65% off for 296€

6. Army86VFR750

Army86VFR750 New Member

Well, I found out today, from looking through some paperwork, that I'm the second owner. I actually found the original owners Honda card that has the delivery date of 9-27-1986, Jacksonville, NC. I'm not sure I want to change too much, drilling holes, jets... If the bike was thrashed or in bad shape, but its not.

I think I'm gonna think on it for a while. Maybe just pick it up and sit on it for the winter.

Thanks for the input! Definately something to think about.