4th gen exhaust clamp mating

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by RedOne, Jun 1, 2024.

1. RedOne

RedOne New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi,

I've got a micron silencer which was on my 1994 when i bought it a few years ago. I haven't really been near it much and went to remove it today. It was a bugger to get back on and as far as I can see it doesn't seem to mate to the exhaust pipe in a 'positive' way, is this normal?

The end of the silencer is flanged and then the gasket (i think this is part #18393MZ7003) is domed. The band clamp that holds it on is pretty corroded and there is what I assume is some sort of bandage or wrap underneath it that is a touch fubar ...

20240601_165354.jpg

As an aside i've looked around for a replacement band clamp and all the parts sites say it's a non-conforming part. The FSM says to line up the band clamp with the slits on the exhaust pipe, but I can't really see anything through all this crap. Anyway - so questions:

1- is the silencer simply meant to push up against the gasket and rely on the clamp for a snug fit, or should I actually be getting feedback once it's on?
    2- Should I scout around for a new wrap to go under this band clamp? I'm not well versed in exhaust systems at all.

Cheers

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    That wrap is not there as stock. The end of of the muffler is dished to match the shape of the gasket, and the 2 piece clamp when tightened (with the slots aligned) snugs everything up and sufficiently seals (provided the pieces are in decent shape).

It's designed to be loosened, the muffler stay bolt removed, and muffler can rotate / swing out of the way to remove the wheel without having to completely remove the muffler.

RedOne likes this.
  3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Unbolt and remove the halves and see what you got to work with. Either someone was trying to compensate for severely deteriorated parts, or they didn't understand how it works either.

4. RedOne

RedOne New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks very much Captain. Oddly I was in the barbers the other day and I mentioned to the guy that I had this bike and this was the first thing he mentioned! I couldn't quite picture it though. So once the mounting bolt is removed the silencer can be swung around without the 2 piece clamp being removed? Presumably once you've loosened the clamp bolts as well it won't support it's own weight?

upload_2024-6-1_21-46-23.png

Sorry for being dim, the FSM diagram is quite compact!

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yep. You should loosen the clamps a bit to be easier on the gasket.

I usually fully remove the muffler so as not to put stress on anything or risk it slipping and damaging something. But I'm also not a service shop trying to be as efficient as possible.

6. RedOne

RedOne New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks as always Captain. There are a few things bugging me, tell me to get over it - firstly there's no sign of the slits on the exhaust to align the clamp to. So presumably the exhaust is aftermarket as well as the muffler (although the fit is v.bad if they were sold as one).

upload_2024-6-3_18-4-47.png

upload_2024-6-3_18-5-21.png

I've been trying to manoeuvre it for slightly better alignment but there isn't really any play within the constraint of the muffler bolt. The assembly also departs from stock in that there are way more washers... which restricts how snug i can get it to the footpeg
    upload_2024-6-3_18-8-4.png

upload_2024-6-3_18-8-38.png

I've removed the middle washer and it's a bit better now. There's still a washer on the nut side as well as the hard face of the bush. Does this really require washers on both sides? If so i'd rather get a thinner one.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Oh... yeah aftermarket headers too. Well, try to get the best seal you can. That's why somebody likely had the extra packing in there. I would still try to best-fit it and see.

Do not need 2 washers. Typically it is the bolt with washer from the outside and the muffler flange up against the collar base on the back. A washer is sometimes needed on the very back if the muffler has an excessively large hole. But that's where I like to use flanged washers.

Your collar is very domed / deformed too, which happens. You can gain some room by replacing or straightening.

RedOne likes this.