5th Gen (1998) VFR800 headlight bulb replacement...video of how to get the darn retainer clip off!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mstraub72, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mstraub72

mstraub72 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hello all! First post here. Hope this helps out others in my predicament. Was on a multi-day road trip last weekend, and lost one of my low beams on my 1998 VFR800. Read online from my phone that Walmart carried H4 bulbs, and sometimes you just needed to trim the two lower tabs and she'll fit right in. Trying to get my hands in to actually do the R&R was very difficult in the parking lot, having poor light and never having seen how these bulbs were retained in the housing. Couldn't "feel" how that clip came out.

Got home on the one bulb, and even in the garage it nearly killed me, pushing and pulling that stupid retainer clip after getting the dust boot off, trying to figure which direction it went to release. Couldn't do it...decided to yank the whole front fairing and get a good look at it and video tape how the clip works for anyone else wanting to try and replace the bulb with the fairing on the bike.

Here's the link to my little YouTube clip. It's in HiRes, so you can get a good look at how it goes.

‪1998 VFR800 headlight bulb replacement‬‏ - YouTube

Hopefully this helps someone! I couldn't find a single picture or video of what the bulb housing actually looked like anywhere online, besides the drawing in the service manual that wasn't exactly descriptive.

On a sidenote, went with GE Nighthawk Platinum's (H4-60NHP), and they did require the trimming of the two lower tabs, but didn't need that spacer I've seen mentioned as the bulb housing is the limiting factor in installing the bulb, not the two clips. They simple oriented the bulb rotation in the housing. Test drive after reassembly tonight confirms they're tight and pointing just fine.

Sidenote #2: If you have the time, it might be better to yank the fairing. It was pretty simple, maybe 30 - 45min (had one fairing screw spin out on me...slowed me down), and you can confirm you have the dust boots etc all set in there properly. It's hard to work in the gap behind the forks if you have even medium sized hands like I do. I'll be yanking the fairing next bulb change...gives you a chance to get in there and get it all cleaned out and switch out the signal bulbs as a matter of course too.

Take care and ride safe all!

2. Twistgrip

Twistgrip New Member

Had the same hassle just this Monday when I replaced my headlight globe,hands also did not fit into the space provided,wish I had your video then.

3. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    +1 on the "fairing yank."

So...Stamps or Esks? :wink:

4. 5string

5string New Member

Thanks for the clip removal tip! Had some issues removing the wiring, but otherwise a successful venture