5th gen 98 won't start

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by 600racer, Feb 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. 600racer

600racer New Member

She has always started and been good. I ran the engine for a while so her battery would remain charged about three weeks ago. She did well and then I turned the bike off. Cranked her up last week. She'll turn over, but no fire. I've checked and rechecked relays, fuses, and engine kill switch. I think its the fuel pump. I hear no whirring high pitch whine sound when I turn the key on. Anyone want to take a shot at solving?

2. 600racer

600racer New Member

Fixed the problem today. Happened to be a bad fuel pump. Bought one off ebay, plugged it in and she started right up ...as she always had. I was so happy.

3. GILL

GILL New Member

Was it a hard job to tackle? How long of a job was it?

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Glad to hear you rectified the situation. I had a fuel pump go bad on my ole fizzer. Stuff happens....

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    cool that you got it fixed. Too bad you didn't take pics and make a how-to in case it happens to someone else. You may be the first person I have heard of have a fuel pump go bad.

6. 600racer

600racer New Member

The replacement wasn't hard. It was frustrating to not know what the problem was though. The hard part was staying focused on the basics of why fires (cylinder combustion) happen while eliminating things that it could not be. Got a great lesson in how many sensors our dearly beloved has designed into her operation. IAT, TP, Baro, ECT, Bank angle sensor to name just a few. See pic.
    Fuel pump replacement took 40 minutes tops. Pulling out the old pump was easier than wiggling the replacement in

Attached Files:

7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Was gonna change my fuel filter last summer. Got it half way out and got stuck. Put it back and forgot about it. Tricky little bugger.

8. GILL

GILL New Member

I'm curious to know what the Bank Angle sensor actually measures and what it does.....anyone?

9. 600racer

600racer New Member

I read this on another thread on this site. It made sense so I'll re/paraphrase. I understood it to serve as a fuel cut-off relay in the event of a tip over...thereby reducing the potential for a fire. So, it perhaps is a mercury switch that cuts off power supply to the fuel pump at a predetermined angle measured from the normal angle to the ground.
    Anyone else want to share?