5th gen brake calipers swap to 954RR (stock forks)

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by theMii, Sep 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. theMii

theMii New Member

Czech Republic
    Hi guys
    I'm thinking about front calipers swap with stock forks.
    When I buy 954 calipers with pump, what needs to be changed on bike?
    Is there anybody, who did this?

Thank you :)

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    You will need VTR1000 lower fork legs.
    954 calipers will not fit stock forks.

3. theMii

theMii New Member

Czech Republic
    And there is no problem with 20 mm brake discs?
    Thank you, for your answer.

4. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    The VTR has the same size disks as the VFR.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Oz is quite correct. You can use VTR1000 lowers (and uppers and internals if you wish) with 954 calipers with the standard 5G wheel/axle/discs. You will need to fabricate small brackets to hold the 5G mudguard to the forks, you can't use a VTR mudguard as the VTR fork spacing is less than the 5G.

If you buy an early CBR600RR master cylinder (03-06 I think) it is a perfect visual match for the standard master and the same diameter as the 954 master.

6. theMii

theMii New Member

Czech Republic
    Thanks for the answers.
    I would like to ressurect this thread because of problems with brake bleeding of linked system.
    How is your reccommended solution to rear brake delink? I made decision to buy 929/954 brake calipers and VTR lower legs.

Thanks

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Funny you should mention the brake bleeding of the linked brake system. Thats was near top of my list on why to rip out the whole thing....
    I did the brake delink 10 years + ago.... I think I can claim that I was the first one to do this.
    --You can check the complete setup in the pictures section.
    - As guys are saying you will need the VTR lower legs + the calipers. The RC51/929/954/F4i are all the same castings and will fit with minor grinding on the lower mount.
    Pic
    [​IMG]

Grinding out caliper area on lower mount for fit. Also grind out the taper on the casting part of the fork mount. Be careful or you have a boat anchor!
    [​IMG]

Suggest that your get the matching master cylinder to go with the calipers. Also that means new brake lines.
    Pic RC51 m/c set up ---- I used a GSXR Reservoir and fabbed a bracket to get it as low as possible.
    [​IMG]

Rear - you will need to buy a 14 mm master cylinder - RC51/F41/VTR- I just went ahead and purchased a new RC51. You could do ebay.
    Then bridge all 3 calipers together. Some guys are just drilling out the fluid path out between the all 3 rear pistons, thats fine too. - Use 1 stock line, to the M/C - Its free.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally on the front - the unobtainium... fender brackets. I designed, engineered, and CNC machined several batches of these, but am out of business.
    There wasnt enough interest to continue making them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  8. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I used shade-tree machining to make similar brackets to MD, not pretty, but the guard will hide it. You can achieve the same with a couple of bent-up brackets, one for each bolt hole.

You can use a master cylinder off the CBR600F4i or better still (IMHO) the 03-05 CBR600RR, both look the same as the VFR and are a much better size to work with your new calipers.

At the rear you can simply leave the caliper and two hoses alone at the caliper end, and join the hoses together at the new master, using the double banjo bolt liberated from the linked brake system. It will fit together like it was meant to be done that way, and makes all three pistons work in unison.

If you are going to this effort, I can highly recommend upgrading the springing and damping in the fork as well; I used (and liked) 0.9kg/mm springs, and at least upgrade the compression valve stack (or the rebound as well) for something like Racetech Gold Valves.

Attached Files: