5th gen mods, worth it?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by VFRIRL, Jul 24, 2019.

1. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  2. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm 6' with a 32" inseam as well and dropping the footpegs was an amazing change for me. I installed helibars when I messed up my shoulder and haven't taken them off since because I got used to the more upright riding position, but lowering the footpegs made a more noticeable difference in my opinion.

Last time I got a new chain I dropped one tooth in the front. I think it's almost the same as 2 up in the back. I borrowed my buddies sprocket from his 6th gen as a test before I ordered new sprockets and I ended up going that route. The 6th gen comes stock with one less tooth up front, so I just copied what Honda did on the newer bike. I do think mpg has suffered more than it should have, so I'm debating a new fuel filter and while i'm at it pulling the pair system and installing the block-off plates and power commander that I already have but never got around to putting on. Not sure if I'll stick with this gearing or go back to stock next time I need a new chain.

I also put Jamie Daugherty's shock on the rear. That combined with the Racetech front suspension my bike had on when I bought it also helps the ride quality and feel. I traded a Corbin saddle for a Sargent and much prefer the Sargent, but that's personal taste I would imagine. The Sargent isn't as wide and doesn't feel as slippery.

The short answer is the lowering blocks are great. Advantage in the gearing is up for debate and will depend on your riding style.

VFRIRL likes this.
  3. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Thanks, I'll go ahead with the lowering blocks, I've been reading up on the pair valve stuff, not sure I understand what's involved, my bike is a 98 model year, I know it doesn't have the Cat in the exhaust, not sure what else is different from the 00-01 years except they have the wax block fast idle system and my bike has the older system of a choke lever, I think the wisdom is that the 98-99's are better for this reason, I might just leave the stock gearing alone so, suspension is stock on mine, bike is like new, you'd think it rolled out of the Honda factory last year, so glad I found it, one owner from new, beautiful bike.

4. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    Nice, lucky find. Mine is a '99, so it's identical although it sounds like yours is in fantastic shape for 21 years old! The other difference between 98-99's and 00-01's is the mirrors. The 98-99's have shorter arms. The previous owner of mine had already put the newer 00-01 mirrors on my bike, so I didn't have to do that. You can see behind you a little better with the newer mirrors, and with wide shoulders, I appreciate that.

5. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Yes she was a great find,the previous owner kept the bike in a heated garage attached to the house, I must upload a few pics, the mirrors are the condom type alright, in perfect condition, all I've done is change all the fluids, fitted bar risers and heated grips, and it needed head bearings so I had tapered head bearings fitted too,the bike is so clean it's like I've bought a brand new bike,they don't make them like this anymore.

6. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes, I love the look of the 5th gen. Still looks modern enough for me today.

You just reminded me, I have a set of heated grips for it I've never installed. I bought hard luggage a few years ago and I was $50 short of free shipping, and shipping was $100. I added the heated grips because they ended up essentially free. I have heavy gloves for late fall riding, but thought the heated grips might be nice (if they get on the bike that is).

7. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I went for the Oxford touring heated grips, they are slighty larger diameter than the stock grips and I find them more comfortable for that reason alone, the heated grips are nice on cool Autumn or Spring evenings, I have full luggage for the bike but I have the seat cowl fitted at the minute.

8. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    That's good to know, Oxford's are what I have as well. I have a seat cowl that looks like it's never been on the bike. I never use it because one of my kids is with me at least a few times a week going to soccer or whatever else they have going on that night. I should probably sell it along with the extra K&N filter that came with the bike.

9. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I would keep it if I were you, for all you'd get for it, nice to have maybe sometime in the future if you decided to fit it for a while,makes the bike very sporty looking, my bike came with a low level scorpion exhaust,looks stock almost, sounds great, I get some popping on deceleration not sure why but it isn't a problem, blip the throttle on this thing and she turns heads!! best sounding engine ever, never going to sell this beauty!!

10. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    I feel the same way, the bike works for me. I've had it for 7 years and I have no desire to sell it. I've got a Yoshimira can on mine and I have the same popping, which is one reason I was going to play around with maps on the power commander. I think it's running too rich. Just haven't had time, kids are often going in two different directions 4 nights a week.

11. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    A few recent pics,
    029.jpg 042.jpg

12. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    Beautiful, that does look mint! I forgot what it looks like without luggage racks on. Nice place to ride too.

13. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Thanks, you'd have to see her up close and ride the bike to see how fresh she is, great mix of roads here in northwestern Ireland, climate is good too for bikes, never really gets too hot or too cold, I'd love to bring her to tour mainland Europe sometime, that's on the bucket list.

14. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    I almost signed up for a 2 week bike tour of Ireland a couple of years back, but it was super expensive. I'd rather arrange it myself one day....

15. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Yes those tours are very expensive, I see loads of tourists here all the time on bikes, mostly from the USA, everything is organised accommodation etc. I wouldn't like that, I prefer to go where I please, if you ever need any help or advice give me a shout, you can't beat local knowledge, Ireland is very friendly, just fly in and rent a bike, there are lots of bb's campsites etc.

https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

16. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    That's a great link thanks. And for the offer. I'm driving almost across Canada in a couple of weeks, but unfortunately not on the bike. Can't get both kids on it. The mountains out west are spectacular and would be a blast on the bike though.

17. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I hear ya, that's the trouble, I think I'd like a massive camper van with the VFR on board LOL. Canada must be magnificent, you have so much road under you over there, you could ride clear down to Cape Horn!! that's the trouble with living on an island, it's a 17 hour overnight ferry ride to France for me to get to the continent, have to do it sometime though, everyone who does keeps going back.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  18. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    It's a 44 hour drive (4,300 km) one way for us. We are all looking forward to it! I looked at toy haulers at one point, but my wife didn't like the idea of sleeping in a trailer with a hot bike that smelled like burnt gas. I have one friend I ride occasionally with and we were trying to come up with a plan to take our VFR's to the east coast while our families came together in a 'support' vehicle. Beautiful ride, and no bickering (that would affect me!)

VFRIRL likes this.
  19. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I have a friend who rides his bike to Europe, sometimes southern France or Spain, then his family fly out and they have a regular family holiday together, then he takes the scenic route home again, there are some fantastic roads and places to see all over Europe, all it takes is time and money,but I'm short of both at present!!

20. munster

munster New Member

Canada
    Map
    That is always the case!

VFRIRL likes this.