5th Gen Sprocket and Chain Sizes?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by EvilStig, Mar 8, 2013.

1. EvilStig

EvilStig New Member

Hi folks,

I have the '99 VFR 800, and the service manual... and for whatever reason, the service manual DOES NOT list the chain or sprocket sizes. :confused:

The service manual says the chain is a size 50VA7 link 108LE. I can infer that this means it's a 108-link chain, but 50VA7 isn't from any size measuring scheme I've ever heard of. Judging by amazon and some forum posts I'm going to guess it's a 530. So is this right? 530 108 link?

The manual says NOTHING about sprockets for the bike. Where can I find the right sprockets, and how many teeth are stock?

Most worthless service manual ever.

EDIT:
    I know DID and Regina are decent chains, but are there any other brands people would recommend? Something affordable with red anodizing would be awesome since I'd really like it to match the bike (but obviously quality is more important.)

2. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    17 tooth front, 43 tooth rear is stock. Going 16 in the front (you can use the stock 16T '02-'09 Honda VFR part) or 45T in the rear is a popular mod. 530 chain, O, X, W, Z ring, whatever letter ring is popular these days. I've used DID and RK. Had a little better luck with DID. If you order it for your bike the retailer should give you the correct length, I think 108 is right. IIRC, you would need a 110 with the 45 rear sprocket.

3. EvilStig

EvilStig New Member

Thanks! exactly the info I was looking for.

EDIT:
    Oops, looks like DID are rivet-style only, and I don't have a chain breaker. Does anyone know where I can find a good chain with a clip-style master link, or better yet a kit so I know I'm getting the right sprockets? Amazon seems very hit or miss...
    Are EK any good?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  4. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Stay away from the clip style master links for this bike. They just aren't up to the task. If you don't have access to a rivet style chain tool, take the bike to someone that does. Throwing a chain at speed is NOT a good thing.

I picked up my chain and sprocket set up from sprocketcenter.com. I went with a 17t front, 45t rear steel sprockets, and a DID 530 ZVMX Gold X'ring chain. About $260 with shipping and taxes. I suspect that it should last at least 20K miles.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Cyclegears sell the chain breaker and riveting set for around $60 clamps

+1 to the above :thumb:

6. EvilStig

EvilStig New Member

I was looking at sprocketcenter earlier. Is the ZVMX worth the premium? I see they have a VX natural or a VM Gold (on special) for $190, though I can't find any info on what the difference is between the VX and VM, just that the ZVMX is heavier duty (but more expensive)

For reference, 20K miles is about 10 months for me, so I'm working it pretty hard. I want to have something that can take it, but at the same time I don't want to throw down a ton of money on something I'll have to replace again so soon.

Is that the same as this one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B4N566/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER because it looks like it, but I really can't judge quality from pictures.

I don't know where I could find a good one locally, though there's bound to be a dirt cheap PoS one at Harbor Freight.

EDIT:
    Are JT sprockets any good? What brand to people recommend?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    The ZVMX came highly recommended. If well cared for, I'm told it should last anywhere from 25K - 40K miles. I shopped around a little and the Sprocket Center seemed to have the best prices on high quality components. I'm sure I could have found better prices, but I was unwilling to take a chance on questionable quality.

Not sure about the tool you posted a link to, I borrowed one from a local rider.

Sorry, I can't offer any input on the JT sprockets.

8. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
  9. EvilStig

EvilStig New Member

Bump.

Hey, so, I ordered a 530 pitch 108 link chain and JT sprockets... they got here last week, and I tore the bike apart to put it on... and it turns out, it's the wrong size chain. The one on there now is wider by the full width of a link plate, and is a bit less 'tall'. I looked over the entire chain and sprockets, and there's no numbers imprinted on them anywhere, except for what looks like 'x501' on the back side of one link of the chain, and 43 on the rear sprocket.

There's also a shim of about one link plate thickness between the transmission and the cover, presumably installed to accommodate the wider chain.

Any idea what I'm looking at here, or if there's some kind of mod I need to un-do before I can use the stock chain and sprockets?

None of this stuff is in the manual.

10. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Can you take some pics? Of the shim? The kit you ordered should mount right up. 43 tooth rear is stock.

11. Scubalong

United States
    I have the same set for around 10 years now
    The set are great however th3 530 press pin are keep braking off.
    The trick is to grind the pin flush and tap it out with a punch before using the press pin. This seem to work well.

12. Scubalong

United States
    Chain breaker and rivet set is on sale at Cycle gear $89 original price now 29.99
    That is a steal..... I never seen this low ever. Hurry and order them peeps

13. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
  14. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I had that happen too but Motion Pro replaced free of charge. I do the same now, grind the head off.

15. EvilStig

EvilStig New Member

http://s2.postimg.org/khrr3mrwp/bfnnca.jpg
    So I concluded this was added to make the forward sprocket cover wide enough to accomodate the wider chain that had been put on it... so I pulled it out. Turns out that the clutch wouldn't let out without it, so either it's original (doesn't seem to be? maybe someone else will correct me?) or the clutch actuation pin was also replaced with a slightly longer one, so I can't remove the shim without replacing that with an original part, too... so I put it back in. everything else seems to fit with the new chain, although, and maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like the new chain leaves a lot of slack to be taken up compared to the old one. Maybe it's slightly longer?

That's the same model I bought, but $10 cheaper. It's ok for pushing and riveting, though using it to press the link plate on to the master link is a b****. It's super hard to get the pins to stay lined up with the holes in the press (not any larger than the pins, and not very sturdy). The riveting pin is also kinda small for a 530 pitch chain. YMMV.

EDIT:
    Also yes, it pushes just fine, but you DO have to grind the end off the pin first, or it won't work. The pins are flanged on the ends and too beefy to force through without removing the flanged end first. Cut or grind it off with a dremel or angle grinder first though and it'll press right out.

Alternatively, just cut the old chain off and you don't have to worry about using the press for that task.

16. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    That shim is a stock component. It's meant to keep a loose chain from wearing away the case and cover. It is a wear item, but shouldn't see much wear if the chain if the chain is kept in proper adjustment. You definitely want it installed.

17. EvilStig

EvilStig New Member

Ah, thanks! Now I know... kinda odd it wasn't mentioned at all in the service manual given it's a wear item.