5th Gen VFR 800 brief rattle when decelerating, never in idle.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mbatic, Apr 21, 2020.

1. mbatic

mbatic New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hello
    I have a 2001 VFR 800. I have 65000 kms and have owned it for 12 years. I replaced the chain and sprockets about a year ago with no issues since. I just replaced the front and rear rubber.
    The rattle comes from the front left side of the bike. At first I thought the rattle might be from debris near the radiator fan. I started the bike and ran it for 20 mins. No rattle, even when the radiator fan came on. No rattle when rolling the bike in neutral down the driveway. No rattle when putting the bike on center stand, putting in gear and letting it rip. Since the rear tire slows down gradually in gear, it is not under load, it doesn't make the rattle.
    The sound happens when in gear and decelerating (and even for a few seconds after complete stop). It seems to rattle only when it is under load.The rattle is inconsistent when decelerating but I cannot recreate it at a standstill, when pulling in the clutch, or during idle.
    I read a post from a 6th generation vtec VFR that it may be the cam chain tensioner...but I cannot find any details in my shop manual (I don't think the 5th generation bike has one). Any ideas? What would be the equivalent part to the cam chain tensioner on a 5th generation VFR?
    Metal hitting, inconsistent 4-8 rattles lasting 5-10 seconds during each deceleration...I have not been able to catch the sound on video, too much wind noise.

Corona has got me squirly and I got a wife and 6 year old at home...need my sanity and a ride is all I got!
    Much appreciated,
    Marcel

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    No camchain tensioners on the 5G; all gears and very very unlikely to ever need attention or make unwanted sound.

Did the rattle start after the tyre change? If so, I'd be looking closely at the wheel, axle clamps, axle nut and the bolts holding the calipers to the forks.

Otherwise, maybe the horn has come loose and is hitting the fender under deceleration?

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Gear driven cam noise (whine) is on right side. Just had all the plastic off my bike for the last month sprucing everything up.. if something is loose (external to the engine), my little list.... coil bracket/well nut in the frame not holding, wire harness unclipped at instrument panel left side (have to pull the nose fairing), signal light clip/screw loose/missing, brake hoses or horn screws/clip issue, connectors on left side harness (PAIR, FI) rattling against inner black panel.... in other words, something loose maybe simple as that but you'll have to pull plastic to find it. See also nothing has dropped in between steel brake lines and left side of frame (lift tank to take a look).

4. mbatic

mbatic New Member

Canada
    Map

Sorry. Simple chain needed a little more tightening. (It just struck me as odd because loose chain, in previous times, sounded different.) All good. Thanks for your reply.

5. mbatic

mbatic New Member

Canada
    Map
    False alarm. Simple chain needed a little more tightening. (It just struck me as odd because loose chain, in previous times, sounded different.) All good. Thanks for your reply.