600 Mile Check Up

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Frank The Tank, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Frank The Tank

Frank The Tank New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello All,

I just bought an 08 VFR. My dealer was telling me I must bring it back at 600 miles for a check up. He seemed to really stress this.

Is this essential? What is checked up/ adjusted??

I live in SoCal and commute about 45 miles to work. Not a track racer.

2. naphza

naphza New Member

First service at 600 miles is basically an oil/filter change, chain adjust/lube and tighten all critical nuts, bolts, fasteners. It is important to get that break in oil out due to all the micro particles of metal from all the new parts wearing in. The first service should be done somewhere around 600 to 1000 miles. Do not put in synthetic oil until at least 3000 miles, possibly a bit more. First service is usually about $150.00. Perhaps your dealer was trying to stress the importance of the first oil chg, which is critical. Nuts and bolts do loosen initially as well as checking over how thorough the set up guy was when the bike was assembled and prepped. BTW it doesn't matter how hard you ride the bike, that break in oil has to get changed.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Any other feedback on that price point from anyone? Any feedback on dealers insisting that if they do not perform this service, warantees are void?

4. naphza

naphza New Member

There is a federal law which prohibits such a requirement. That is, failure to not have the dealer perform this service cannot void your warranty. Unless the lack of service falls under the rather broad heading of neglect/abuse of any vehicle. I think it's important to note that if you do your own maintenance, save all your receipts so if there is a warranty claim that might go either way, Honda is more likely to cover it if the regular maintenance has been done on the bike. I used to handle all the warranty claims for a large multi-brand dealership so I speak from my experience in talking to Honda service techs.

5. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    They will certainly try to fight the warranty if you don't let a Honda certified tech change the oil and stuff. Usually best to let the original dealer take care of it. Beyond that, it can be a do it yourself issue.

6. Badbilly

United States
    What stories do the dealers tell? If you don't have them do it, your children will be sold off to some dudes in East Timor, your dog will be run over by a steamroller? His children will starve to death and he has some trashbags for sale to put your doggie pancake in?

Any new buyers out there that can quote what they paid for the initial 600mi service?

7. Spike

Spike New Member

It just has to be done, according to what is spelled out in the manual. Nothing more has to be done. And, it does not have to be done by a dealer.

8. Frank The Tank

Frank The Tank New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks to all

Thank you all. Done deal. I can do the oil and filter myself, but I think I'll bring it in at let the Honda guys give it a good once over. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time. I've been keeping the trip odometer on so I can get an average of how much gas I am burning. I switch it over to the main odometer and I am at 900+ miles, didn't even realize it.

Thanks again Gentlemen.

9. fighting_fires

fighting_fires New Member

i bought my 07 new last may and when i got my 600 mile check down it was close to $200. i live in the suburbs of chicago if that makes a difference.

10. Badbilly

United States
    Two hundred is close to one-fifty. Not too bad, unless the baby needs new shoes.

The idea here dudes is that the dealer/stealers have you at their mercy. If the service is a standardized thing, the taxes might be a little different but accounting for a fifty dollar or more or less difference is in the hand of your friendly dealer.

Gotta watch out for that other hand too. That one is heading for your wallet as well.

An estimate of parts and labor is sort of an unknown until actually inspected by someone who know what to look for. If the "service manager" at your friendly dealership looks like he just got a manicure. anything else is BS.

So the question now is , is this 600 mile service a fixed cost procedure by Honda dealers or are ya gonna get ripped for another half a yard?