$6100 damage to new RWB

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by dieseldrive, Jul 20, 2007.

1. dieseldrive

dieseldrive New Member

I took my wrecked RWB 07 to the dealer today for an estimate (on my own, insurance has not inspected yet) and it came to a little over 6K including labor. Many of the damaged things are slight cosmetic (like scuff on brake caliper, front tire and wheel, scuffed lower fork leg and axle). I wonder if they will total it at that - it has 1050 miles on it (23 days old when wrecked) and I really dont think there is any hidden damage? My helmet and riding pants were also scuffed in the wreck , will insurance pay for this as well?

If they do total it - could I/should I buy it back?

2. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I decided to fix my wrecked ACE. I was torn at first, fix it or part it out? I'm glad I fixed it. I had to change the frame, forks and too many other parts to mention. At $6100.00 your a little over 1/2 the value. The ins co. could go either way. If you want it fixed, tell the adjuster. It would save them a lot of money, and you'll get your beloved bike back.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  3. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd take the insurance money and buy it back in a second if you have the room to store the wreck. Insurance will save a bunch selling it to you vice the auction - just know what is might be worth at auction so you're not hosed.

If it's not totalled, make certain you get Honda parts.

Didn't your side cases get torn completely off as well? :wink:

4. dieseldrive

dieseldrive New Member

No, there are no scratches on the engine or frame at all. The brunt of the hit was taken by the cowling around the headlights and the left fork leg and front wheel. I don't think the wheel is bent, just scuffed. I rode the bike back to my camper (40 miles) and the only thing I noticed wrong was the bent brake rotor made the brakes pulse a little. I am fairly sure that most of the damage is cosmetic (but we all know that cosmetics are expensive on a bike).

5. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

If they decide to fix it, require them to have it GMD Computrak inspected for staight forks/frame/SSSA/alignment before the actual rebuild happens. If the steering head/tripple clamps/forks/subframe are bent, then they will find it.

6. dieseldrive

dieseldrive New Member

Well, they did not total it. The insurance company paid the $6100 damage estimate that I had done at my Honda dealer (didn't make me take it for another estimate). I can fix it for much less than that ($2500 in parts) but will probably just sell it as/is on Ebay - need about $4K to break even (the bike was only 23 days old when wrecked).

7. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    Sell it?:eek: What...are you kidding? I'd fix it in a second!! Not only will you get to keep that coolest of all VFRs, it'll always be the bike you took the ride of your life on. Like I said, I fixed my ACE, replacing $4800.00 worth of parts, and am glad I did it. Thanks to E-Bay, those parts "only" cost about $3600.00. After having the it COMPLETELY dissassembled, I feel a more personal connection to it than any bike I've ever owned. My VFR is a way cooler bike, but the ACE will always be the bike I brought back to life. :biggrin: You only got to ride it 23 days. Best of luck in whatever decision you make, but if you fix it, you'll love it more than ever. :hug:

8. jgilbert101

jgilbert101 New Member

VFR tires / crash

I know how you feel.... i have an 07 RWB VFR and lowsided.... 4000 bucks later i got it back (well insurance paid it), then replaced both mirrors with a set of carbon fibers off of a 99 CBR 600, and slid off the road again... I really want to like the bike, but hate the stock tires... I am going to try a set of pirelli scorpions on it and see if it gets better, if not, i don't know what I'm gonna do... guess i'll have to quit dragging knees... oh yeah.... i just ordered a new CF mirror (again) since i shattered it going off the road..but luckily no other damage to the bike (or myself either time) even though the crashes were at 65mph and 40mph respectively. I am not a bad rider, and didn't feel like i was pushing the bike too hard... so we'll see what these tires do.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  9. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    The 07's came with Dunlops, Metzlers, or something else... What kind of shoes did / does yours have? :confused:

I was happy with my Dunlops, but am not a very aggressive rider. :redface:

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    several of us have had pretty good luck with continental road attacks. they give a little more life and they stick all the way to the edge. pretty thick tread when you get them, too. turn in might be slightly slower than a race tire, but after riding a few miles, you never think of it anymore. I have tried 4 different rears and 2 different fronts and as far as price vs. performance, they have done right by me. I'll continue to try other tires just so I feel I have an informed opinion, though.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    That's awful. You have what was a beautiful bike with the potential to return to said beauty. Don't let someone take that away from you. You can fix it right back up but add those few little tweaks to make it more personalized to you. Cosmetics is the the easiest to fix. Save the old plastic for track days, replace the plastic for the street and you sort of have two bikes. Hell after I low sided my 5g I rode it with scratched plastic for about a year with only some touch-up paint (hence the name Scratch) Most people I rode with had to ask where the damage was to find it. Touch up paint can hide a lot until you get ready to replace the fairing. Hell if I had the money, I'd snag that bike from you just because I think the RWB model is the sharpest 6g and I remember lusting over them for a year after we saw the 'spy' photos.

12. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Here you go, maybe this will help...

Bring her back, you deserve it and so does she.

[​IMG]

13. 84cb700sc

84cb700sc New Member

I found the stock RWB's Metzeler ME's to be very worthy and they even gum up when pushed hard unlike my Pilot Powers I am running on some other bikes. Fix the bike!

14. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    :eek: FIX IT! DON'T PART IT OUT!!!

15. MiddleAgeCrazy

MiddleAgeCrazy New Member

Map
    Your damaged bike has a repair price about the same as the Kelly Book value my new 08 with 43 miles on it.

16. VFR_Rod

VFR_Rod New Member

Did you notice that was from July of 2007?

17. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    Yeah, this is an old thread...but, I wonder what he did? Sell it or Fix it? Anyone know?