6'5" Rider looking for a vfr

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by orel1987, Mar 24, 2015.

1. orel1987

orel1987 New Member

Hey Guys.
    It came to my knowledge recently that the VFR800 is the best sport touring bike for us giants.
    I've been looking for comfort and on the other hand, not to look like a bear on a scooter. I'm a tall guy, 6'5" with a 34" inseam, but i'm pretty skinny and weighs around 200 pounds.
    If any of you guys are similar to my height and can upload a photo of you on your VFR i'll be thankful.
    I do not want to look ridiculous, like i'm too big for the bike or something.
    Thanks people :smug:

2. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I am 6'-2"

fixed.jpg

3. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know about best sport touring bike for giants, but maybe the best sports bike for a giant. The ST's & FJR's would be a better full blown sport tourer IMO for someone your height.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I'll have to post something for you when I get back from Ottawa ... flying out there shortly for a business trip.

I'm 6'0" and 32" inseam and it's very comfy on my '02 ... you might want some peg lowering blocks and HeliBars and it should be a good comfy fit.

5. orel1987

orel1987 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies everybody. yes this definitely helps. I guess a couple of inches wouldn't make such a severe difference.

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 6'1" and can flat foot on my '99 VFR

7. Highvactech

Highvactech New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm 6'4" or so. I wear 36" inseam jeans and my actual inseam is about 37". /Similar weight at about 180-190 depending on the season. My previous ride was an F4i and I loved it. I didn't really care what I looked like on it. The 6 gen I have I only rode a few times in the fall but it felt pretty good. Thinking about some Heli bars and I am going to try out some Chinese adjustable lowering pegs, as the popular ones made by a member on one of the forums put the pegs too close to the brake and shift lever for my liking. I don't have super large feet at size 11 (no comments please!) but the feel was not even close to the F4i for me ( I miss my F4i!). I have shorty levers as well. I have been riding MTB for about a million years and prefer the shorter levers like my XTR.

8. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    At 6'-2" (and chunky) I figure I always look like an elephant humping a football on just about every sporty bike I ride. My options are to get a Gold Wing and that's not happening or just not worry about it. I really don't think of myself as all that big until I see my reflection in a store window as I ride past or see a picture that someone has taken and then I think "do I look like that? I have the Heli bars, Buell lowered foot pegs and Sargent seat and I find that the bike is perfect for me. I can ride it all day and I have.

9. orel1987

orel1987 New Member

Big Jim,
    Thanks for giving such a detailed reply.
    This will definitely help me with my research.
    By the way, I was considering the BMW F800GT too. any thoughts?

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    The BMW F800GT is a pretty small feeling bike for a big guy but if it fits ride it.

11. orel1987

orel1987 New Member

Smaller in dimensions than the VFR800?

12. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know about the actual dimensions but I was out riding an pulled in for gas. At the next pump was a woman riding an F800GT and it looked really small. I was kind of shocked because I had considered owning one.

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Wear horizontal stripes that will make you look less tall.

14. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Orel 1987

If you have not come across this website - http://cycle-ergo.com/ it may provide you with a general understanding of the standard ergonomics of VFRs and most other bikes. Just enter height and inseam to see how crunched up you might be - but realise that the computer makes heaps of assumptions which may be wrong for you, so there is no substitute for actually trying out the real thing. As others have said things like a custom seat, rear sets and helibars can alter things significantly. So if you find something that feels close but not quite right for you, it may be some aftermarket options can help.

Enjoy the hunt.

SkiMad

15. 12bravo

12bravo New Member

I am your size with a longer inseam, the 1200's ergos are just right for me on the stock equipment; not crunched up in the knees, hips, or shoulders. For long distance touring you'll probably want a touring shield or laminar add on for less helmet noise.

With my personal BMW background, they are no longer an option, and if you go to ADV rider dot com you'll see a TON of them FS in their class.. Unless you can find one in the $4K range, and can flip it quick when you're tired of their "dealership experience", skip them.