6th gear problems?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by risgett, Sep 7, 2012.

1. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    2007 RWB - Bought in May with 6400 miles on it from the original owner. It now has 8500 miles on it. 2 or 3 times now, I have gone to shift into 6th gear and it doesn't engage. Meaning when I let the clutch out it free revs just like neutral. I then have to click down once or twice to get it to go back to 5th and then try 6th again. I never had this problem on any previous bikes, so I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about. Again, it's only happend 2 or 3 times in 2k+ miles. It was just serviced last week, but not sure what all is included in a normal dealership service. Also, it has never shifted great since I got it. Nothing tangible that I can put into words, just not as well as past CBR's I have owned. I'm wondering if the boots I'm wearing could have something to do with it...they are steel toe work boots and kinda bulky. Thoughts ??

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You need to raise your shift points for that gear, thats what smart money says at-least. I dont bother shifting into those over-drive gears unless I am going 90-100 regardless of what bike I am riding.

My 500 twin goes the same as the 3/4 litre bike. You could run into a problem as the way the gears are spaced out, your not carrying enough RPM to nudge it into the over-drive gear (6th.) It has happened to me occasionally, make sure you load the shifter with your boot before you touch the clutch lever too, and remember or train your boot to let the shift lever to re-index itself after you initiate the gear change. Boots are important riding apparel yah know - am real particular with what I wear when me rides...AnywHOoo...gud luck and cheers

Might wana use full synthetic oil, that will help the shifting too....

3. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I have a 5th gen and my shifting has never been that great either. I can't remember not catching a gear but like ridevfr said if you are trying to shift into the higher gears when your rpms are real low and your speed is way to slow for it you can have a harder time shifting into them. I disagree with switching to a full synthetic though. I have always run honda hp4 and I tried going to hondas full synthetic for the same reason as to get smoother shifting but it made my clutch slip very badly and didn't help my shifting at all. Before the next ride I switched back to my regular hp4 oil and slipping clutch was gone. I think the hard shifting is just an internal thing with either the shift forks or the drum and certain oils may help it some but it won't go completely away. If it were to happen more often I would say you may need some work but for now I wouldn't worry about it. Just make good positive shfts.

4. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    I commute 36 miles one way to work. Over 50 or 55mph, I always use 6th to save gas. I can get 270+ miles to a tank (which is wayyy better than my chevy HD truck:eek:). I'll start running it up to 65 or 70 before I shift into 6th and then slow back down if need be to avoid the man, and see if that helps. Thanks for the input!

5. V4 Dude

V4 Dude New Member

I have never had an issue shifting into 6th gear, highway or around town, low RPM or high RPM. I have occasionally had trouble getting my gearbox into first at a traffic light, when this happens I push down but am still in neutral, sometime I need push down on the gearshift lever 2 or 3 times. I don't think my problem is that uncommon though.

Motorcycles have straight cut gears so I can't expect it to shift like a car. However, 99.95% of the time I have no issues shifting. I also have a 2007 with about 8k miles.

What type of oil did you put in at your last oil change? Maybe that has something to do with your shifting issue.