6th gen 2002 vfr running problems

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bakerdm20, Oct 11, 2010.

1. bakerdm20

bakerdm20 New Member

HI all, hoping for a bit of help before i take out a second mortgage to repair my bike. I have a 2002 vfr vtec. bike recently had trouble starting until finally gave up the ghost and the recovery people came to the rescue. recovery guy diagnosed straight away that the wax unit was sticking so i ordered one up followed the service manual and replaced the part.

bike is now starting ok (i also bought new plugs). i took it out for a spin and the bike was fine until it got warm and then started to die on me. It seems like fuel starvation or electrics but after it dies the bike will start after leaving for a minute. i have checked all the hoses and all everything is back together. rechecked sparks and gaps, coils. fuel tank has been emptied and tiny amount of muck in the bottom but not enough to cause an issue.

Im confused guys as it starts and idles 1300 prm ok but the minute you start riding and the engine warms up starts to feel sluggish and the bike just dies. any ideas?

2. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Allthough this is kinda obvious, something is getting too hot, likely causing a dramatic rise in resistance. I would start by checkin the usual 6th gen trouble areas like the wiring harness recall and the POS 30 amp fuse under the seat near the battery. I'm pretty sure that the 30A fuse holder was causing my intermittent no start (fuel pump not running) last winter but it didn't need to be hot to happen.

Also, the guru's will be along shortly to give you better advise. What more specifically is she doing when she gets hot. Sputtering, hesitating, or does she just flat out quit on ya. Is there any rhyme or reason to when she finally quits, low RPM, high RPM. Does she allways quit around the same temp or just at some time after she reaches normal operating temps. Any information you can provide will help us weed out the problem.

3. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Oh yeah, allmost forgot :welcome:

4. bakerdm20

bakerdm20 New Member

when she gets hot she starts to feel sluggish on the throttle then dies. i have had it where if i increase the revs she seems to be really lumpy on the engine like its nots firing on all pistons. im no expert when it comes to more modern bikes. give me a little bike with simple electrics and a simple carb and no problem but this one has me stumped. it always quits when it gets up to operating temp but not when she is sat idling just when i start riding. she seems to just die.

5. bakerdm20

bakerdm20 New Member

Hi bud i thought i would let you know i sorted the problem. Took a diagnosis at the honda dealer and a call by them direct to honda but it turns out it was a break in the loom on the 12 feed to the coils. got quoted mega bucks to change loom so took the bike home and have done it myself. MY dads an aircraft avionic engineer so helped out loads but im pissed off with Honda. The loom has a crimp inside without insulation and had coroded inside the loom. my thought is that where it gets hot by the engine it then cools down and causes condensation causing the crimp to corrode. Hopefully this may help if anyone else has the problems.

6. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Well, as many times as I've seen that happen I'd never have been able to point you in that direction from over here. I'm glad you found the problem and have your VFR back :thumbsup:

7. bakerdm20

bakerdm20 New Member

6th gen vfr 2002 no start flashing hiss and fi, relay clicking problem solved.

Hi all. just a quick post to let everyone know of a problem i came across on my vfr 2002 recently and how i fixed it. bike died on me after starting and then when i tried to restart it turned over but was not firing the hiss and fi lights were flashing and i could here a relay clicking under the dash.

After a trip home on a flat bed i ripped off the fairings and after consulting the wiring diagram i went to the clicking relay (fuel cut off relay). I measured the voltage from battery to the relay and found a 2 volt drop. Another break in the bloody loom!! Rather than trying to find this one as the last one was buried deep in the bike i put a new wire between the feed on the left hand side by the other relays (engine cut off and bank angle) this did the trick and everything fired up straight away.

hope this helps. any questions happy to answer.

Dave (bristol)