6th Gen Drive Chain/Gear (Oil Pump)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Aced It, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    What do you all thing of this? The gear has movement inward and outward and the chain has a lot of slack. I've read slack in the chain is normal, maybe to 10mm of play. Does it look a bit much? I'm not certain about that gear movement though either. Almost 70K on bike. Comments?

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Another post that is getting ignored by all???

I don't recall checking for axial play on the oil pump of my VTR but the chain slack was very similar to what you have. In the service manual the oil pump shows as having a pin through the shaft engaging in the rotors, and these parts just slipping together, so I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about a bit of movement there. Also I can't imagine that you would be likely to get any oil pump wear unless there was some terrible lack of maintenance, and then it would be more obvious elsewhere like the cams.

Aced It likes this.
  3. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, it seems you and I are having quite the conversation just the two of us, lol! Anyway, again I appreciate the input. I am applying what I know of engine mechanics to this unfamiliar bike of mine. The service manual is a bit wonky at times. I ordered a new chain anyway. Figured I'm in there already and she's got almost 70,000 miles and I know the previous owner rode it hard, but did take care of it. And referring to my other thread re: cam chain timing, I also ordered new timing chains.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

4. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's a before and after shot of the oil pump chain. The old one was a bit stretched; without laying them side-by-side you can still actually see the difference. Replaced with genuine Honda part.

Old chain:
    [​IMG]

New chain:
    [​IMG]