6th Gen evolution

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by scott05205, Aug 27, 2010.

1. scott05205

scott05205 New Member

Hey all,
    I just picked up my second 6th gen today. It's an '07 and my previous one was an '02. It's been five years since I sold my '02 and there have been several different bikes in-between. My question is this, what was the evolution within the 6th gen bikes from 2002 to 2009. What makes this new '07 different than the '02 or the '09? I think the windscreen has a different tint near the bottom and there's a white ring around the tach and I guess something was wrong with the rpm that the valves opened so they lowered it. (which, I must have really missed something, 'cause I thought it was great on the '02. ) So what else? Little things.. Like the blinker lenses, I think they're different, too.
    Just curious, I guess

2. dko15

dko15 New Member

Hello and welcome!
    So I'm new to riding, but have been comparing and researching.
    Your 06 and newer has a lower kick in for the VTEC at 6400 rpm instead of 6800. The display is different, i've heard easier to read, with a different font?
    Front and rear turn indicator lenses are now clear, but center rear brake is still red lens... I believe the bulbs are actlually different besides their color.
    0f course you have noted these changes by now since you have an 02 also!
    Noticed on postings that everyones VTEC kicks in differently.... maybe finickey to maintenance, driving habit or type of gas/quality?

3. scott05205

scott05205 New Member

Now that's what I'm talking about. A different font on the tach display ? I don't know why, but that kind of stuff is really interesting to me. When a bike is said to "remain largely unchanged from the previous years model" it's never 100% true. So then it becomes an investigation. Plus it's cool to have that kind of knowledge in a conversation when you can quote the year just by looking at it. ( "yeah, that's a '68 Camaro... the '67 had different front blinkers and vent windows on the doors" )
    My '02 VFR has been sold for 5 years now, so I don't have it to compare anymore, but I think the clutch/ brake reservoir have an aluminum finish now instead of black paint.

4. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    New for 2006

- New ECU mapping engages VTEC at 6400 rpm to better match the four-valve power curve, producing a smoother power transition.
    - New clear turn signal lenses front and rear provide a high-tech look.
    - New gradient on windshield for cleaner, sharper styling.
    - Styling on tachometer face makes numbers easier to read.
    - Satin finish treatment on muffler covers and exhaust heat shield for distinctive styling.
    - New silver finish on clutch and brake master cylinders.
    - Front cowling center piece color matched to body for integrated styling.

Got this from www.totalmotorcycle.com ... a great source for model info on almost every year of every make.

5. scott05205

scott05205 New Member

Ah ha! I knew there was something different about the nose of the bike. I kept looking at it funny. I thought the windshield gradient was different , but missed the fact that the black plastic between the headlights was gone. Also I don't remember any difference in the muffler heat shields. The tach face is clearly different. I remembered the reservior being black and not satin, but wasn't sure about the blinkers.
    Cool info, thanks! .... Now what about '06 to '07?
    OK OK... I'll check the website. :)

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    No changes from 06 to 09 (last vfr800) except paint colors.

7. scott05205

scott05205 New Member

That's cool, I LOVE when that happens. It means that you never get that nagging feeling of missing out or being old news when the next model comes out. You know that good feeling you get when your vehicle's model year is the same year it actually is on the calendar. But then the next year comes, and you're now a year old, and the next guy has the newest one with the little improvements and upgrades and you're juuuust alittle jealous. No changes from '06 to the end means we've ALWAYS got the latest and greatest. I got that with a '98 Camaro I bought new in 1998.. That was the last edition, latest and greatest for 12 years untill the new one that just came out last year.
    ( 'cause , ya know.. Those without the "new gradient windshield tint" are probably wallowing in jealousy every day. :biggrin: )