6th gen gauge cluster on a 5th gen?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by The yellow hornet, Apr 5, 2019.

1. The yellow hornet

The yellow hornet New Member

United States
    hello all,

I bought my first vfr (2000 vfr800) a couple weeks ago. It didn’t have a gauge cluster. I have been searching the internet for a 5th gen cluster and it seems next to impossible to find. So my question is will a 6th or even a 4th gen gauge cluster work on my bike?

Thanks for your time in advance.

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Err no. 4,5 and 6th gen clusters are all very different. Ebay is your friend here but make sure the pcb is good. Message the seller and get an answer to cover yourself.

3. The yellow hornet

The yellow hornet New Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured this but was hoping it would work. eBay has let me down, no 5th gen clusters on there. I’m hoping to return the bike back to its stock look since the guy I bought it from turned it into a “street fighter”.

4. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    I put CBR1000RR gauges on my 4th gen VFR. It wasn’t too difficult in all honesty. The difficult thing was cutting the wire harness to splice in the CBR harness, as once cut, I wasn't going back. Not saying that it is possible to do the same for a 5th gen, but I can’t imagine it being too much different. I have a set of 4th gen gauges you can have, just give me a shipping address.