6th Gen Interceptor $3.00 Rear Wheel Balancing Adapter

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by OnTap, Feb 23, 2015.

1. OnTap

OnTap New Member

United States
    I know there are other threads regarding rear wheel adapters for balancing the single sided rear rim of the 6th Gen Interceptor. I thought I'd provide my $3.00 solution for others to copy if they want.

I was scouring the internet trying to find a rear wheel balancing adapter for my 2007 Interceptor. I did find a few (for around $35.00), however I couldn't get any of the suppliers to confirm their adapter would work on a 2007 Interceptor. I also searched the VFR World forums and saw some posts where a few guys had made their own. Since I couldn't get confirmation that the new adapters would fit my application, I decided to try to make my own. The result...one trip to my local home supply big-box store and $3.00 later, I have an adaptor that Works Great!

Here are the parts:
    One - 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe (only need about 1/2' to work with, but I had to buy a 4' section)
    One - 1 1/4" x 3/4" PVC Bushing
    One - 1 1/4" PVC Female Adapter.

Here are the pictures:

Attached Files:

Jon Pedroza likes this.
  2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    So, how'd it work out? Good thinking!

3. OnTap

OnTap New Member

United States
    Works Great!

Was able to accurately balance my rear wheel with my new rear tire.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That looks sweet ... here's what I've used and they work great. They use them in semi tires, but they have an application for motorcycle tires. No balancing required, just put the beads in the tire and go. It self balances:

http://dynabeads.ca/

5. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I've used those for the last 2 1/2 sets of tires. Not one problem. Got an average of 13k out of the front & 7k out of the rear (PR4).

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    OP, that's a great idea! This will really help others!

Dynabead guys, I have something else you can try, as it works on the same principle as Dynabeads, but it also automatically seals tires if there is a puncture. It's called Ride-On tire sealant. I pulled all the weights off of my tires after putting this in, it worked very well. Competition Accessories did a video on it where they actually drilled the tires and then went riding. I also have a question regarding Dynabeads, does the tire feel out of balance when you first start riding after it has been sitting overnight etc? It seems like the beads would all fall to the bottom of the tire. The Ride-On stays put, that's why I was wondering.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    The jury seems to still be out on Dynabeads and the like. Some people like them and some say they work okay at speed under 100-120 mph, but over or near those speeds there are issues. I'll stick with the weights. Although I hate the new non-lead weights, they are so much larger for the same amount of weight as the lead ones. I guess I'll have to pick up some lead and cast my own weights. A bit of a pain though.

Nice adapter. I finally gave up and bought the Mark Parnes balance with the VFR adapters.

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I don't like sealing fluids inside the tire ... makes an ugly mess changing the wheel.

The dynabeads work great, no you don't feel a wobble at lower speeds. Truckers have been using them for years now. I don't know about speeds over 100-120mph, but I'm never driving that fast anyways, I don't do track.

9. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Does it make much difference if the rear wheel isn't balanced? I have never noticed any difference, I always get the front wheel balanced when fitting new tyres though. The tyre fitter I go to can't balance the vfrs rear wheel.