6th gen intermittent rough idle.

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Dennis The Menace, May 26, 2020.

1. Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace New Member

Canada
    Map
    My 03 has been intermittently acting up over the last couple years. but did this twice today. Bike runs great but when coming to a stop after riding for different lengths of time it will idle really low and almost stalls. so I keep the revs up a bit then ride away, the problem goes away sometimes for days. so its hard to nail down anything specific. temperature is never high when it does this. maybe some sediment of some kind in gas tank? bike has 38,000 km. I have just done air filter, plugs, oil and filter. getting great gas mileage 285km before low fuel comes on. any tips would be great.

2. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    The VFR800's Honda PGM-FI ECU uses two different "control parameters" for fuel injection. At low Throttle opening (very small throttle plate angles) the ECU uses the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (intake vacuum) as the controlling parameter, at medium to large Throttle opening the ECU switches to using a combination of Throttle Position Sensor (voltage) and engine RPM.

Having your engine stumble when it (the ECU) is obviously transitioning into the part of its operating envelope that depends on the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) signal kinda suggests that something might be wrong with it.

Could be as simple as making sure the MAP sensor is properly installed and that the MAP electrical connector is clean (disconnect and spray it clean with contact cleaner) and that the tubing that connects the MAP sensor to the bike's airbox is in good shape and properly connected at both ends. And that your bike's airbox is properly assembled so it is working properly with the MAP sensor. Things like that.

3. Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace New Member

Canada
    Map
    thanks I will check all that.