6th gen riding position relative to '08 Triumph Sprint ST...

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by biker7, Jul 14, 2008.

1. biker7

biker7 New Member

Hello,
    I have been considering a VFR for some time. There is a Triumph dealer not too far from my house and I test rode an '08 Triumph Sprint. Its a nice bike with strong motor but honestly was shocked by the ergos as I never expected to be leaned over so far on the Sprint...which is their touring bike albeit with quite a sports oriented riding position. This is even after Triumph raised the handlebars a bit for '07/'08 bikes due to customer feedback as earlier Sprints were even more aggressive. A question to those that know both bikes. Is the 6th gen VFR riding position more or less aggressive than the new Sprint? I don't want to buy a bike where I feel too much wrist pressure. I know the bars can be raised on the VFR and this maybe an option. The VFR has such a great reputation. I am a long time older rider at 6'1" that grew up riding standards with handlebars and hard for me to adjust to clip ons.
    Thanks,
    George

2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket New Member

If you're most comfortable on a bike with handlebars, there are several good options that meet that criteria - Triumph Tiger, FZ1, Bandit 1250(?). A lot of folks here fit heli-bars, which move the clipons up and back.

The biggest difference for me from clipons to handlebars is how wide they are. Clipons are narrower. That makes it easier to tuck in behind the windscreen and better for high-speed turns but, IMHO, the extra leverage provided by handlebars is better for low speed work.

I'm biased - I'm planning to do a handlebar conversion to my VFR...

3. biker7

biker7 New Member

I have done a fair amount of reading on this and I guess I wanted to spark some input. I love the VFR for its design and keep coming back to it as no single bike is all things but most would concede a VFR is close. :smile: To me at this juncture in my motorcycle life comfort is big. The VFR is reputed to be one of the most comfortable of all the sport bikes. I also like the wind protection versus a pure naked or street fighter style bike. The handlebar swap has perhaps the most promise to create naked bike/standard ergos. I know there are purists that flinch at the thought but I like the VFR better than either the Bandit or Tiger and other naked bikes out there. The Tiger is dead comfortable to me and has that great stonking triple but honestly the thing looks like a dirt bike and I still am somewhat a slave to fashion. Some have maintained that VFR's are for old guys that don't want to admit they are old (me) and still want a sport bike look :wink: If the shoe fits :vanity:

Below is a pic posed by a clever gent on this forum that mounted handlebars to his Viffer. I also included a pic of a Sprint with handlebars versus clip ons that come standard. I will likely end up doing the same for three reasons you touched upon. Balance and leverage...easier countersteer...more pullback and more height resulting in more erect torso angle and less weight on hands.
    If you study different brands of bikes that come with clip ons, there are guys who put conventional handlebars on just about any fairing clad motorbike sold with clip-ons...including Triumph Thruxton owners who can't stand the wrist pain either.
    Best,
    George

Attached Files:

4. Faceplant

Faceplant New Member

I chose between these 2 bikes when I got my new bike and I felt that the Sprint had a bit more aggressive riding position.
    Also, the pillion riding position is also more aggressive and since my girlfirend likes to ride with me that was also a major disadvantage of the Sprint. She says that the viffer is more comfy than the Sprint. And I would take her word for it, since she has actually been able to fall asleep at one point!

However I do still like the Sprint's engine and sound.

/Faceplant