6th gen seat latch

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by PONYBOY, Aug 5, 2010.

1. PONYBOY

PONYBOY New Member

Seems I should check my bolts more often.:doh: Found seat loose earlier today to discover that my seat latch had completely fallen off and was in multiple pieces under the seat frame assy. :mad: I seem to have most of the pieces but I think I'm missing a spring. Hopefully Mr Elwray will be able to hook me up with some better pics tonite so I can figure it out as the Honda parts fiche is useless and show's it as a one piece assembly.

2. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    ELWRAY TO THE RESCUEEEE....

waiting on pics to upload to photobucket. Stay tuned for pics.

As far as I can tell, aside from the single screw it's a three piece unit - the latch, the housing, and the spring.

The spring sits in the notch of the latch (the part connected to the cable), and that in turn sets into the housing. The housing has a screw hole, and a locating pin that helps you line it up/hold it while you put the screw into the bracket.

There is a greenish notch on the cable which sits in a recess on the main bracket, which holds the cable's tube so when you turn the key it only moves the cable, not the cable AND the surrounding tube.

And the pics are ready .... good timing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any spring with a decent amount of tension should work in there if you lost the spring.

3. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Awesome!!! You are indeed the frackin man. I tried to rig something together earlier after work but no luck, I used a few smaller springs I had layin around and no dice. I just gotta find a larger spring that fits more appropriately in the housing. Thanks a ton for the pics man, hope the re-assembly wasn't too hateful with the spring. I owe ya a beerz or two!:drinker:

4. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad to help :thumb:

5. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    So, I just ticked over 28K the other day and it was time to do the oil change again.
    [​IMG]

While I had her up and draining I decided to play around a bit more with that damn ol seat latch problem. I didn't have much luck with some smaller springs (waaaaay smaller, tried sevral springs and some spacers, no dice) I tried. So I've collected a couple different springs over the last couple weeks and decided to give them a go. One of them was allmost just the right length and diameter, but it was just a wee bit too big around to fit in the housing (I could stuff it in there but then it would not move, at all). So I got sneaky...........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's see that little bastage go flying into parts unknown now!!!! :party2: Wound the spring around the cable itself and put it back together, works just like it did before, no noticeable difference in tension when turning the key and it latches beautifully again. And while I was in there re-engineering things, I decided there was a soloution to this happening in the first place, and took care of that too.
    [​IMG]

Just a little dab of loctite Honda, cmon, not so hard eh!!

So if your latch has not exploded on you yet, take the seat off, remove the bolt, dab some loctite on it, re-torque it and forget about it!!!!