6th generation difference

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by btibia, Jun 6, 2012.

1. btibia

btibia New Member

Hello all,

This is my first post here, i tried to find the answers searching the forum (the internet), but unfortunately i couldn't find any!

I want to buy a 6th gen VFR 800 and i can't find what are the differences between a 2002 model and a 2006 model (as an example). Did they do anything, did they change anything?

Why i have this question is that on my local market i can find models from 2002, 2006 and i can't find the difference between then...it is only the year?

Thank you,

P.S. I hope i made myself clear with my issue

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
  3. btibia

btibia New Member

thank you for the info...this help me alot! so i can buy almost any model from 2002 until 2006, and the difference between then is almost 0 :)

thank you and ride safe!

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    No problem btibia. Now go buy your new bike, and come back and post some pictures for us.

5. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

That's not quite right my friend. The VTEC engagement point on the 2002 to 2005 bikes is 6800rpm. Honda lowered the VTEC engagement point to 6400rpm in 2006. All 2006 to 2009 bikes switch over at 6400rpm.

Additionally the '06 to '09 bikes use an ECU with different programming than the '02 to '05 bikes and they also use different fuel injectors in the '06 to '09 bikes as well.

The later model bikes used LED lights in the turn signals,brake,and tail lights. They used different wiring harnesses than the 2002 to 2005 bikes,they started using clear turn signals and clear brake/tail light assemblies,and along the way they also started using a White face on the tachometer.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Just an FYI, on my 09 the VTEC kicks in @6800. So I think it is the other way round, 6400 RPM on 2002-2005 and 6800 RPM on 2006-2009. The ECU and Injector stuff sounds right though.

7. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

That's absolutely not correct Double O. People always seem to get that backwards. Honda lowered the VTEC engagement point to 6400rpm in 2006 because some people were complaining that the VTEC engagement at 6800rpm on the 2002 to 2005 bikes was too abrupt.

Read this my friend. Click me.>>>>>Honda VFR800 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I concure with this messages.......

9. gade-thrasher

gade-thrasher New Member

United States
    I happen to have a 2006 model and rode it to work this morning ... Vtec kicks in at 6800 when rpms are increasing. Vtec turns off at 6400 when rpms are decreasing. That's what they changed in the ECU programming. It allows one to stay in Vtec mode longer when shifting through gears, or slowing through corners. Also, mine does have the clear signal lenses, but no LEDs.

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hmm. I pretty sure mine kicks in @6800 RPM. When I accelerate onto freeway on ramps I don't feel any change in the motor until just before 7K RPM. The first time I took the VFR for a test ride I recall this scaring the s#!t out of me as I was not expecting it. It is quite possible that the engagement is sooner but the power delivery is not felt until a few more RPM is reached. Have not noticed too much on the actual shut down of the VTEC, just when the "power" kicks in. I shall sacrifice work time today and go do and experiment. I will grab the newly acquired GoPro (R3 grand prize) and make a recording of it for posterity. I will post the video on this thread...

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    This is why its better to just buy a fifth gen. None of this bickering about engagement points. :potstir:

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hey! It's our right as Americans to bicker, rant and act like fools in public, why do you think there are so many "reality" TV shows that portrait this behavior? However, to your point, I would live to have the gear driven cams of the fifth gen!

13. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, please post video. I'll double check my '09's engagement as well. Perhaps it's different depending on what gear it is in, mmm?

14. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Not sure if this applies to your geographical location or not but here in the U.S. there was also a factory recall on the wiring harness for some of the 2002-2005 models. Also before you make your decision It is also important to know that RED is the slowest color.

Rollin

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I tried recording this 3 times, once yesterday and twice today. Yesterday I had the GoPro mounted towards the rear of the tank and you could not see the gauges, today I mounted the GoPro closer where you could see the gauges but the wind noise overpowers the Engine/RPM noise level, making it pretty hard to discern the VTEC On/Off points. I'll see if I can get better audio sometime this weekend. The turn on point is definitely felt at @6800 RPM. You can feel it more than hear it or see it on the gauges. Another thing that "quiets" the VTEC turn on point is the PCV, as this seems to smooth the transitions down some.

16. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Be advise the vtech only engage at 150 degree
    My engage at 6400 RPM

17. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I am not sure Honda managed the revised model introduction consistently across Europe. To add to the confusion when they introduced the revised Vtec models in Europe there was already a glut of pre 2006 models held at dealers. Inevitably a few got sneaky replacing the amber indicator lenses with later clear style ones so at first sight they looked like the updated version.

If you don't know what to look for, its best to get the seller to remove the seat and take note of the information shown on the paint code sticker which should be revealed on the frame right at the front near the tank. The sticker will clearly state the VFR model, build year and paint code. In the UK a lot of 2006 and some 2007 registered bikes were in fact the early model. In addition to finally sorting out the RR wiring, another change worth noting is they also revised the combined linked brakes and ABS systems on the 2006 and later models.

Skimad 4x4 - 6th Gen Militia # 218 - 1st European Division

18. WingZer0

WingZer0 New Member

From my experience riding my Interceptor it's starts to kick in at @6400 but you will actually feel the kick in of the 16 valves only after a few hundred rpms later......also I found out that the brake pads for the 02-05 and 06-09 slightly differs.

19. btibia

btibia New Member

I'm glad to announce that yesterday I bought my 2008 VFR (w/ abs) which has ~58.000 KM (~36,039 miles) of road :), new tires (2012 Michelin 2CT Pilot Power), GPR exhaust final, xenon, monopost cowl and especially it's Candy Glory Red color. Already did ~90km last night and today (I'm from Romania so my local time is GMT +2). This weekend I'll upload some photos with my new baby!

Maybe next year I'll come when VFR groups are meeting in EU, I'll follow this forum weekly.

Peace!

20. BereaVFR

BereaVFR New Member

FWIW-I don't think the tach on the bike is accurate enough to be definitive about the vtec kick in point. Plus, I don't think the power kick and the increased noise is instantaneous with the kick in. When I ride in first gear right up near the engagement point without a helmet (I know, sue me. It was in the interest of science) I can hear the solenoid fire to engage the vtec valves. It is a loud tick. It takes just a bit after that for the valves to start making noise. If you were really on the throttle, it would be easy to think that the vtec was kicking in at a higher rpm.